well, No longer with Werner

Discussion in 'Werner' started by BrenYoda883, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Oldman49

Oldman49 Medium Load Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Parking lot grabs are when you park in a parking lot for a business with signage that may restrict parking for that bus only of a certain length of time. We have all seen the signs "violators will be towed " Towing co can demand whatever they chose to get the car back.

BrenYoda883 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BrenYoda883

BrenYoda883 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Yup. .. the tow company contracts with various businesses.. in this companies case, they own a few parking lots, and sell monthly parking... if you do not have a parking permit on your rear view mirror or dash then your car is subject to be towed...

now, most of the parking lots are downtown and so people pay good money for their space... so they get irate when they cant park in the spot tthey paid for because someone else parked their... however, these lots are where a lot of bar goers park.. we start towing cars at 3am... an hour after the bars.close...

they also have many lots they patrol during the day...

now... it does get confrontational at times... and one of the drivers got pretty scuffed up in a nasty confrontation...

so.. I actually. .. swithced jobs.. I am pulling HazMat Tanker now... home daily and really like tanker...

4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    I'll only say that some tow truck companies are worse than Werner.....

We've all heard the stories calling multiple units (that aren't needed) to accident .... Making rates up. Etc.

Do you really think a 60 ton rotator is worth $250 an hour (or whatever the rate of the day is) and travel time.....

BrenYoda883 Thanks this.
  5. BrenYoda883

Sep 18, 2013
    Yeah... I can agree... It take a rare breed.... when I was being trained.. the by the book grab.. was to get it in the air as fast as you could... when the people came out and pleaded witn you.. the standard reply was... "I can drop it now for $150 or you can pay $370 at out impound..."

As a driver, there wasnt much you could do... cause the trucks had several cameras... they would know if you dropped a truck without charging...

anyway.. when I was training he grabbed a SUV with a handicapped plate... that seemed hearless to me...

I like pulling tanker a lot bettter...

6. Davezilla

Davezilla Medium Load Member

May 19, 2009
    If it makes you feel any better, a lot of people use that to manipulate people. I was involved in this lawsuit once where a completely capable set of adults "bought" a $45,000 van for their disabled grandkid. They never even once attempted to make a payment despite trying to work it out for them. The more we tried to help, the more rude they got. Like as we got more reasonable, the less reasonable they got, and if we asked them to pay even the slightest amount they would go berzerk because they felt they were entitled to it for free.

I mean, come on. Cant just take a $45,000 piece of equipment and walk off without paying anything. Especially if its a pair of completely able body adults involved in it as well. Not even the slightest attempt to pay, not even $50 a month. Not even $50 a month from two grown adults. FOR A $45,000 VAN.

Then they would yell about how their income was protected by law and we couldnt do anything anyways. Real winners.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  7. BostonTanker

BostonTanker Road Train Member

May 2, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Yes it is. You put a million dollars on the line as it is a required truck to be on police rotations. You standby on call waiting. You pay the extra money for the permits because those rotators weight almost 80k without hooking up the truck to be towed after it rolled in the ditch. Oh, and have the equivalency of a master's degree to safely operate it. I wouldn't go out on a recovery in the rotator for less then 25% of the bill. Keep your trucks out of the ditch.

8. BrenYoda883

Sep 18, 2013
    Yeah... there is good money to be made in towing... but it does cost a lot upfront to be able to nibble that pie...

i totally get where you are coming from Davezilla... on the repos I went on.. the people were months without a payment, and failed to folow through with any arrangements tbey made with the finance company before we were called to grab it... and yeah it is hard to feel sorry for someone who isnt even making an attempt... usually they would claim they just made the payment.. and get on the latest iphone to call..

the handicap one we grabbed was not a repo.. it was a parking lot grab... there were a lot of events going on.. along
    With the college world series... so parking downdown was insane...

normally we wouldn't start grabbing cars till 3am... but during the world series it was all hands on deck and we bagan at 8pm..

9. Oldman49

Jul 20, 2014

10. Oldman49

Jul 20, 2014
    If you carry a shovel,broom and oils dry and pull, wrecks,roll overs etc you are a tow truck driver. Repo drivers don't do that but are transporters. Repo involves lots of verbal skille. If you need to carry a gun in order to do your job,you aren't doing it right. I understand self defense,stand your ground etc,,,but would you take a life over a repo ? I mean seriously put lives on the line for a car ? Just walk away...geese...good luck.

BostonTanker Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Lots of corrupt tow companies in and around Nashville, TN.
    One clown was putting canvas bags over "No Parking" signs and "Out of Order" bags over parking meters. When a car parked there, he would wait until the driver was out of sight, then remove the bag and tow the car. After a few years of this, they pulled his tow license, so he immediately put the company in one of his drivers name and kept on towing as if nothing happened. A guy like him should be permanately, severely disabled or worse.
    I had a car towed twice in Nashville when I was legally parked, so I went directly to the police dept. and was able to get the car both times without forking over money. Still, it was time consuming and filled me with hate for tow companies. I don't really know how I would react if I caught a tow driver hooking to my car and it legally parked. Get chill bumps and an adrenaline rush just thinking about it.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.