werner / dollar general

Discussion in 'Werner' started by So Cal Dave, Jul 3, 2007.

1. So Cal Dave

So Cal Dave Bobtail Member

May 22, 2007
    Riverside, Ca
    anyone with werner work the dollar general account out of southern calif?
    i have an opportunity to get on it and would like some info

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. haze1

haze1 Light Load Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Midwest City, Oklahoma
    i dont know about the account in california but i can tell you that while i pulled for them out of the ardmore oklahome dc, i made some good miles = good pay. the job was very demanding and required alot of physical strength for pushing and pulling the rolltainers which are loaded with various merchandise. if you are up for a challenge, i know that it will help you become proficient at backing a trailer as some of these stores are very tough to enter and exit the parking/unload area. if it werent for my aching knees i might be still driving for werner/dollar general. if i can help with any questions let me know. good luck

4. bubbavirus

bubbavirus Medium Load Member

..has a terminal right nest to th MS DG warehouse. delivered three times there. Once young lady security made me wait nine hours to unload- I was early though...

5. alot-to-learn

alot-to-learn Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2007
    inverness Fl
    it might be different there then it is here in north central Florida. I'm training with a DG dedicated guy and I can tell you this I'm not cut out for this work!

700 or 800 LBS rolltainers disagree with me. the hours are long and the work is very hard. I'm not a little guy at 6'0" and 260 lbs, I like to lift weights but this job will wear you out week after week. we unloaded 8 or 9 trailers this week, I'm surprised they didn't try to give us more. my trainer works very hard but he is also 19 years younger then me, I'm about worn out.

then there are the stand alone stores out in the middle of no where, blind side backing off major highways.

specifically the pay is ok but he only gets paid $36 to unload a trailer and $15 per stop on top of .33 cents a mile. he says alot of guys try it out after being OTR they last a week and go back to OTR.

6. 2xR

2xR Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Ol' North State
    I ran DG store deliveries from the South Boston, VA DC back in '97 and '98. I worked for Koch, but we got our dispatch from the Werner board. During this era Ryder Logistics was the primary carrier and got to choose their hauls. Werner had bloody seconds, and we got the runs Werner either didn't want, or couldn't cover. Needless to say, you could watch the national weather reports and predict your dispatches. During the winter storms PA, OH, WV, and KY were the Koch driver's destinations. When the weather got good, we couldn't buy a load.

Back then we carried enough roller conveyors to put the freight into the back (sometimes front) door of the stores. I could build some hellish coasters with those rollers. Now they use lift gates. The freight was loose (very few totes) and there was always six in the store vs. you in the trailer. Really tough work, but after not dying on the first few runs I became as tough as the job. As long as I stayed on the DG account I felt pumped, but taking a week off to run Best Buy (no touch) freight would ruin me and it would be like starting over in the gym when I got back to DG. You know you're working hard when the air temp is about 10 - 15 degrees and you're in the back of the trailer sweating your ### off.

It's good experience for the up-starts. You'll learn to back, learn customer relations, learn the art of being patient, become as buff as the dude paying his dues at the gym, and make a fair amount of money while you're at it.

7. WhiteHawk

WhiteHawk Bobtail Member

May 21, 2009
    Nashville, TN
    I did this job for Ryder Dedicated Logistics out of Scottsville back in 1996, just before the Werner takeover. Then we had roller ramps we had to set up (sometimes using the merchandise to prop them up), then lift each box onto the rollers and push it down into the store. I was 29 at the time, just a smidge under 6', and was pure muscle after 3 months. Stuck with it for 6 months altogether. Got whistled at by women, unless they were close enough to smell me. Got really good at backing trucks into tough spots too!

I'm thinking about going back to it. Even called the Werner recruiter the other day. The only thing is I'm 42 now and have some bits of titanium in my clutch leg from falling off my sportbike back in February. I'd be happy with a straight driving job, but I don't want to grow my midsection. With DG, you get a trucking job and a gym membership all in one. Oh yeah, and a free sauna most of the year, as those trailers are miserably hot if the sun is out and it's over 60 outside.

Can an old cripple like me can still do that job? Or would it kill me?

8. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Be advised Werner doesn't use the rollers . They put liftgates on all their trailers and drivers have to wheel carts into the stores . I see trucks for CVS pharmacies are from Ryder . I dont know if they leased the trucks from Ryder or if Ryder Logistics has the contract . You might also check with TJMaxx stores and see who has the contract for their deliveries .
    Since you're in Nashville you might check on running hopper bottom or bulk tanker for Moorman Farms in Utica , KY .

WhiteHawk Thanks this.
  9. Keendriver

Keendriver Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Big Blue Truck
    :smt068And quit fallin off your sportbike.

10. WhiteHawk

WhiteHawk Bobtail Member

May 21, 2009
    Nashville, TN
    Dad, is that you? :biggrin_2554:

11. Troll Man 46

Troll Man 46 Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2009
    OR
    Does Werner Enterprise still use lots of those Kenworth W900?

Vale

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.