werner / dollar general

Discussion in 'Werner' started by So Cal Dave, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Keendriver

Keendriver Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Big Blue Truck
    Yes...Yes it is. Now keep it on two wheels!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    I'm a werner driver and yesterday I was asked to come help out on the dollar general account out of South Boston, VA.

Just completed the training and have to wait til my dispatcher comes in in the morning to get a load. He says it'll probably be a long one to pennsylvania.

Anyhow I was getting ready to move anyway and VA is a pretty place, you have to admit. I was told that if I moved i could get a permanent position on this account.

I'm going to change my hometime and try it out for a few weeks and see if i actually like the work. I'm not afraid of hard work and I believe I can do it and enjoy it. I also like how you dont have to actually put the truck into docks. :)

Anyone run dollar general full-time from south boston? whatcha think about the job?

4. chief

chief Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Flavor Country, NC
    what do you do, roll the boxes down a ramp? you know you have to unload the whole trailer, right? hope you're a husky young buck. you might be able to hack it for a while before you ruin your back or get a hernia. but, there's always welfare, er uh I mean, disability.

5. CertifiedSweetie

CertifiedSweetie Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Pittsburgh,Pa
    I did the dolar general account once and it was supposed to be in pa but I ended up in new york delivering. I lasted a week. Alot of the carts weighed more than I did and so I had went back to regional. Also most of the places had some bazar docks or didn't have any at all. The pay was the only ok thing because I was paid per trailer per stop.

6. phroziac

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    chief, NO WAY! REALLY? THE WHOLE THING? IT DOESNT UNLOAD ITSELF? anyway I just ran one load for them (been having truck problems), didnt seem so bad to me. We have liftgates on the trailers and most of the freight is in "rolltainers" (folding carts), and the light stuff is stacked on top of that, you stack it onto "uboats" (stocking carts that the stores have). stores have step ladders to borrow for this job. One store had a real shaky one that i actually fell off of yesterday. LOL.

I am young, and i kind of like it...for now. Lots of hot girls work at dollar generals. The "manager on duty" (not a real manager) last night at my last pickup (empty rolltainer pickup with no delivery) was hot and even seemed to like me. Not that it matters, just thought it was funny. :)

It's adventurous, anyhow.

Definitely wont do it forever.

Dont see how the work is any worse than most normal jobs.

LadyTrucker, uhhm umm thiose carts weigh up to 1000 lb. I hope you weigh less than they do.

Traffic jam:
    [​IMG]

7. phroziac

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    To hell with the dollar general gig. I'm going back to midwest regional. But I did decide that I want to move to the east coast anyway. Haha. :)

Here's what I learned
    1) Most dollar generals are not that hard to deliver to. A few are almost impossible (old fashioned docks made for straight trucks), some require no backing at all, most only require you to get the truck kind of sort of close to the back door, some require you to block service roads behind malls (piss people off), some require you to parralel park on the curb for a FRONT DOOR DELIVERY through a GLASS door, up the wheelchair ramp thats made into every sidewalk.

2) Werner's Dollar general account pays $40 to unload the entire trailer and $16 per stop (not counting the DC, which is always your first and last stop). Today I had a 850 mile 7 stop load. 3 stores, drop/hook the trailer with empty rolltainers for an empty trailer, go to kimberly clark and drop/hook for a backhaul of paper towels, and go back to the DC. That's $120 in unload/stop pay. But on midwest regional, I'd get $200 for extra stop pay alone......just to bump 5 docks and let someone else unload the trailer. What the hell? And on midwest regional you get $10 an hour with a minimum of $40, so it'd actually be $260 if it paid the same as midwest regional, unloading at the required productivity of 500 cases per hour, which is usually a reasonable goal depending on how badly the DC loaded the trailer....but it is a FAST pace.

35 CPM so I would've made $417 on that load, and it was supposed to have taken 2.5 days but I lost a lot of time backing into a nearly impossible dock at the empty trailer swap location of all places. Thanks for the great industrial park engineering, ProLogis! But 10 cpm of that is safety pay, which you automatically get for the week if you have no accidents that week. But I hit my APU with a trailer last week, so I lost it. So i get $332 for it. Still not bad, except for the fact that i spent 6 hours unloading it.

8. TX ROOKIE

TX ROOKIE Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Kerrville, TX
    Werner let me try a DG account for a week and I thought it was great. Ended up in Ardmore for three weeks and I loved it. It kept me active and challenged my brain. Alot better than sitting behind the wheel for 500-600 miles a day.
    My paycheck doubled the first week i was there, and then i was really enjoying what i was doing!
    Yeah, the MT rolltainers are a pain in the butt to load, but, with practice it gets easier. My FM out of Ardmore was great. He kept me moving really well.
    In the end they say I didnt pass the physical, but i believe they just wanted me back on my western regional account. No way I could go back to low pay and a pain in the arse FM. (Can you say SLIDING PAYSCALE?) Had to leave Werner.
    It was very sad, because i was finally enjoying what i was doing. Loved that job!
    By all means, if you can get on a DG account, fight for it, it's worth it.

BigBoytoys Thanks this.
  9. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    Now be honest driver. Was this gal too hot for you or the other way around? We want to know the rest of the story.:biggrin_255:

Dollar General are all different. At least in TX, OK area. I imagine it's a whole different story back East. Unloading freight used to be mandatory. Not bad as long as you used your head. Was always the little 5lb box that got the guys. Did suck in 1980 heatwave in TX. Especially those rag top trailers. Hot Hot Hot.

10. bigtex07

bigtex07 Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Las Vegas,NV
    just talked to werner. they got a spot for me on the dollar general account. ill be based out of houston(not sure where the closest terminal is by there)

any tips/advice/experience?

thanks

11. mike91118

mike91118 Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2010
    clarksville,tennessee
    is there any account in clarksville tennessee always see one every day

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.