Werner Enterprises, Inc. - Omaha, Ne.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by lj, Jun 17, 2005.

1. PortlandDriver

PortlandDriver RIP, May You Be Heaventown Bound!

May 30, 2005
    Pacific Northwest
    The key is to document what you send in, when I drove for "choke" Swift I was shagged a few times on lumper pay. They were great in coming up with the com-check number but not the reimbursment....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kc0rey

kc0rey Medium Load Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Macomb, IL
    In 7byears of training new drivers I had 4 that were natural drivers. All of them had some form (Farm, dad was a trucker etc.) of previous experience. I had 2 that should never be allowed to walk around a truck much less drive one. All the rest had the potential to make good drivers with time.

Always asume the guy you're passing or is passing you is an idiot. Treat him well but watch him close. It is your life.

4. kc0rey

kc0rey Medium Load Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Macomb, IL

Good advice Ray, Many people can not put their thoughts into words. Hot heads (and I am one) should not train either.

5. themlilboots

themlilboots Heavy Load Member

Dec 9, 2005
    They are used for what they call driver lanes. They travel supposedly 500 miles per day. 250 mi to swap a trailer than 250 mi back to their terminal.

6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Oh, okay. Relay runs. Like we do here in the LTL sector. I wonder what Werner pays for that.

7. skullitor

skullitor Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2005
    New England
    Dig out your old ORANGE DRAWERS (Boxer Shorts) with the orange pumpkins on them and come home to the ORANGE ARMY.

8. skullitor

skullitor Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2005
    New England
    Most likely, NOT ENOUGH! :lol:

9. Semper Fido

Semper Fido Bobtail Member

I guess I got lucky with Werner. I had a great trainer. We still keep in contact 9 years later. As far as the equipmnet goes, here's my story...

In my first 6 months with them, I had blown two motors (I was told by the shop there was no way I could have done it due to the short times I had them). They paid for a rental car so my wife could drive me to Redding, CA to pick up an abandoned truck. When I got it, I thought it was a joke. The windshield's were cracked, there was dog hair everywhere (which I'm allergic to), and the body had been trashed. I informed my dispatcher of the situation, and he told me to make the best of it, and he got me a load to Omaha, the main terminal. I drove the whole way with the windows down, and slept in motels every night due to the dog hair. I got the same story: One of the shop guys offered to clean it for $50, to come out of my pocket. I went across the yard and told my dispatcher the truck's filth was not my problem. He agreed, and 3 hours later, I was putting my gear into a brand new Peterbilt. As a joke, Mike (my dispatcher) said to me "Let's see you blow THIS engine." In the 18 months I drove for them after that, I didn't have a single problem. I did, however, meet a wall of resentment when I wanted a leave of absence due to my wife being 8 months pregnant. With a near impeccable delivery record, only late once due to illness, they told me if I left, don't come back. They also left a nasty remark on my DAC record. "Elligible for rehire pending review", which it seems code for "he screwed up". Oh well, I went from making $.30 cpm for them to making $.35 cpm for a smaller carrier here at home. And I haven't seen New england or NYC since... :D

10. TurboTrucker

TurboTrucker Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2005
    Rossville, Georgia
    I am quoting an offering in the Report section of the site, for the issues raised in this woman's post are at the forefront of some of what I keep trying to inform people about....see if you can spot the problems:

http://thetruckersreport.com/truckingcompanyreports/posting.php?mode=reply&t=271

This was posted by SouthernLady on February 12, 2006

"My experience from the begginning to end *LONG*

I graduated school and went to Omaha NE for training December 6th 2004 Female and Non-smoker trainers were limited by the 17th they bused me home and bussed me back for holidays. I was making 250 a week but 3 weeks of wait was expensive. Assigned to a Dollar General trainer most time is unloading and waiting 5 days a week and sitting in a motel 2 days. Pay was still 250 week with driving and unloading 800-1000 pieces of freight daily. Students did not recieve unloading pay but was required to help *free labor* Finally assigned to 48 state trainer with 140 hours of line 3 driving time and 7 weeks later, I completed training March 7th. THREE Months to get 240 line 3 driving to complete my training. Make sure you have your recruiter send you a letter stating where you are going. I requested So Est Regional before even signing papers, when I completed training they put me on 48 states. Luckly I had kept in fairly regular contact with my recruiter so when I told him they refused to put me on SERegional he took care of it. I heard this is a common issue.

I couldnt complain when I recieved my key to a brand new 2005 Century. With Werner you just dont drive off the lot with a brand new assigned truck, no you have to go into safety lane where they red tag you for alignment and a few other things. I would of thought that knowing all new trucks are required to get an alignment would have it done before being assigned... would make since right. 2 days later I was finally cleared and on my way, assigned to South East Regional.

Just because its So East Regional doesnt mean you will be in the So East, I spent more time in OH, PA,IL,IN and even was going to send me to Boston my 3rd week solo which I absolutly refused eventhough Werner is forced dispatch due to my inexperience and the fact this wasnt my assigned area, they listened and split my load. Miles ranged from 1800-3200 a week depending on the dispatcher. BAD and common was sitting at a dock for 6 hours in No Carolina destination Jacksonville FL and get split off the load 180 miles then sitting 16 hours for the next load. Most loads were scheduled so tight I thought they were intentionally trying to make me have a late load. GOOD Getting time off was never an issue and I was even sent out of region to go home on the west coast.

A LOT of problems with dispatcher and 8 days on Breakdown with my brand new truck but being only paid for 4 as I was able to travel 100 miles before being on brakedown again took me off Brkdwn that day and made me have to wait another 24 hours before being paid and Sundays were not paid then though you spend half a day in brkdwn if you get assigned the load you dont get paid that day either though your load doesnt pick up for the next day. Average checks were 500-700 week before taxes. Couldnt do 32 hour restarts on the regional account though except on occasion and rare occasion.

GOOD In July and nearing my last nerve I called recruiting to get my employment info as I lost my employment history but was on the application. Person I talked to asked me what company I was going to and I told him I was just getting my employment history and again he instisted, I told him Crete, why (brkdwn, low pay etc etc) 2 days later I was on a dedicated no touch, drop and hook, home weekends, 250 mile radius with a 8 cent raise and $100 week bonus for ontime bonus. Assigned a Peterbilt 387 and 30 miles from home I couldnt be more delighted with Werner. Dispatch was good, miles were good though the occasional slow downs, procedures were consistant and stores were required to complete unload within 2 hrs of appointment time, drop and hooks were easy and loads on average were 12,000 lbs. Extra runs available on weekends and running out of hours for the week was never an issue. Average checks for week was 850-1000 before taxes.

-Breakdown department takes care of you well and safety is a priority, now if Werners inhouse shop actually knew what they were doing, and the wait wasnt like waiting for a kidney transplant it would be better.

-Best offered benifit was Drivers Legal Plan and worth less than 3.00 a week Medical was decient as well as 401K

AWESOME First week of January I had to go to Oregon was given nearly a direct route from Ga to Or. Getting time off or getting loads to go home to family was always something they did well.

Idaho just opened roads after being closed due to hazardous conditions and I was in the first bunch going through and I hit Ice. Solo Vehicle Jackknife 5 other trucks jackknifed/slid off road within the hour the roads opened, multiple vehicles and a few collisions.

EXTREAMLY BAD Hell with Werner and the big blue screw begins.
    Laying on a board in extreme pain and doped up on Morphine in the ER I get a call by Safety "You have been suspended, do you have any questions" Love the concern dont you? Accidents are regular in a company with 9000 drivers but they dont have any thing telling you who to call for what, what are your rights, or anything and spending hours on the phone doing run arounds is eating up my cell phone minutes. Oh a Injury counselor sends you a letter but if your stuck 2000 miles from home your not likely going to get it.

BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD!!! If you are injured they call your doctor on the 8th day (there is a 7day waiting period for work comp checks) and convence him that there is light duty jobs so I can still receieve decient income. The doctor thinking he is helping me signs a light duty order with 15 lb lift limitation, cannot use shoulder, no operating commercial vehicle. Pretty much useless but hey I can do light duty so atleast I get income WRONG!!! I cant work light duty because I am suspended. Werner is also self insured for work mans comp. Meaning you dont go through regular state work comp meaning when you call for work comp issues you call Werner. All claims go through Nebraska doesnt matter where you are hurt or where you live.

If you tell them what happened during the initial report make sure they have this information on the investigation report. When I called the investigator important information was omitted such as
    -The roads were packed snow and icy
    -Witness to accident
    -Roads had just been opened

THERE IS NO COMMUNICATION from Werner unless you initiate and know exactly what you need you have no idea. Most of the time you get transfered but I figured it out

Riskmanagement and Accident is the same department you can talk to the accident investigator and they are really good and telling you everything they cannot do for you.

Safety actually knows something and normally can tell you which department to go most of the time. They arrange a bus ticket home for you though you have a sleeper truck worth of items and a 2 bag 100 lb limit the rest is your problem. Safety will call you when your terminated.

Having an accident is difficult, having your company leave you totally in the dark is hell.

-Your suspended without pay for an undetermined time though mine took 3 weeks 4 days.
    -You request a letter stating you have been involved in an accident and am suspended without pay and am not recieving income to give to your creditors to keep them at bay and deferr your payments till your fate is determined but told its not in the companys best intrest.
    -Upon termination you are not given any information about benifits such as cobra, settling your unpaid miles, company charges such as unreturned equipment, bond refund, unemployment etc etc Calling and getting the run around again to gather this information with unanswered calls is to be expected.
    -DAC gets chargable accident and termination sent to them
    -Concetra Medical Centers are biased and treatment is barley good enough for a 3rd world clinic but Werner sends you there anyways.

I sit here wondering how a driver the same day I had my accident rolled his truck on its side because he was speeding on a curved off ramp and in two weeks was told Werner told him they were going to keep him. The driver was more in control of his truck and the resulting accident then I was driving on snow for 40 miles and hitting ice but I am terminated due solely for the accident (No prior incidents, tickets, accidents).

I have defaulted on my lease resulting in 1500 fine which would of been waived if Werner sent me the letter stating I was supended. I am homeless living in peoples couches and I have been denied over and over again from companies for employment, I am still in physical theraphy and in pain but recieve no checks, my loans and credit lines are in default and still numb from the effect of the Blue Screw."

11. gearjammer30

gearjammer30 Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2006
    mass
    one simlpe anwser to your problem GET AN LTL JOB!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.