Werner or Stevens!?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Rookietrucker89, May 22, 2015.

1. Rookietrucker89

Rookietrucker89 Light Load Member

May 22, 2015
    So I start Roadmaster Tulsa tomorrow (3/23/15) and I've received two pre hire offers from Werner and Stevens Transportation. Getting on with anyone else will be really, really tough until 7/2016 because of a speeding ticket.

So here's my question: which one?

Stevens has offered a starting rate of 0.27 CPM long haul. Werner has offered a dedicated account offering 0.34 CPM where I'll be home more than I would be if I were to choose Stevens.

I've heard nothing but bad on Werner and a lot of good on Stevens, but Werner is where the money's at it seems. Any veterans have any solid advice I'm stuck and not sure who to choose!

Thanks in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    Stevens comes second only to C.R. England for lowest paying companies out there.

Werner sucks also BUT offered a dedicated job means more stability than say OTR at .27 doing reefer.

I'd keep looking but if I had to pick one I'd take Werner only for the fact that OTR doing reefer at .27 is an outrage even for a noob.

gntorres61 and Rookietrucker89 Thank this.
  4. Rookietrucker89

May 22, 2015
    I agree, I balked at 0.27 CPM. But I do know I'am a rookie and need to pay my dues.

I have a ticket from 07/2013 that was 10-13 over and another in 11/2014 that was 16 over. Aside from that everything is clear on my records across the board.

With this information who can I go with? I really want to drive for TMC but they said one ticket has to drop and US Express, from what I've seen, is a no go. Any suggestions?

5. freightwipper

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    There's many companies out there, keep trying.
    At least you have something to fall back on to get started if it gets to that

6. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    First off, former stevens driver, who had a good experience with them.

Dedicated accounts, sound great on paper, but keep in mind, those accounts come and go quickly. the cents per mile is not the only consideration. How many miles on that account? what are running lanes, and can you do it when the unknown delays happen. How many stops? do you have to tailgate the load? And are you home for just 34 hours then back on the road?

example, 34cpm at 2,000 miles is $680 gross.
    27cpm at 2,500 miles is $675 gross.

Also this is more about the training you will receive.

Pre hires mean very little, as neither werner nor stevens do a complete background and qualification check until you arrive for orientation... it is a matter of costs for them.

Maverick Griff Thanks this.
  7. Rookietrucker89

May 22, 2015
    I was up front and honest about everything, so I do not see why I would not be officially hired at orientation. I was told the miles for the accounts were between 2500 and 3000 miles a week. What is tailgating a load??

8. freightwipper

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    Here's the story with a 15+ speeding ticket the really good places likely won't consider you until you have experience. Some even with a 15+ ticket within the past 3 years still wouldn't hire you with experience.

The only places that will hire you are driver mills or companies that pay absolutely terrible (which usually are driver mills)

It will suck in the beginning but deal with it.. get the experience and move on.

I agree there is a lot more details you should find out about that dedicated account.
    Reefer means crazy appointment times but you better not be late! Dealing lumpers and you certainly will do a lot more waiting around than with a dry van. Hey lets not forget about trailer wash outs.. more time wasted you don't get paid for. That's reefer world.
    All for .27? :biggrin_25513:

The money will suck at both places.. it's a matter of what type of lifestyle do you want to have when starting out?
    I have heard Werner's training is a joke though. 6 months experience = you can be a trainer!

9. Rookietrucker89

May 22, 2015
    Wow, yea, I agree about the trainer thing. I feel as though it'd be crappy, though, to just hire onto a place get my experience and bounce... that's why I'm doing my homework. I want to get with a company that I can stay with for at least 2 years.

What questions should I ask about the dedicated run?

Thanks for the insight guys, I really do appreciate it.

10. little cat 500

little cat 500 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Abbottstown PA
    stay away from the driver mills theres always somebody to replace you at any given time

11. carramrod32

carramrod32 Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Midwest
    Hey Josh, that dedicated is probably a dollar something account like dollar general. Lots of turnover on these accounts, be ready to hand unload with rollers box by box. Some have lift gates and the stuff is on carts but still both are driver unloads.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.