What about unsafe drivers?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by GiantBeard, Nov 25, 2015.

1. GiantBeard

GiantBeard Medium Load Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Petaluma/Indio, CA
    This glorious week of thanksgiving, I had the pleasure of seeing some of the most sleep deprived, amphetamine addled, idiots on the road I've ever seen in my life.

The fella that I'm thinking of, in particular, was driving one of those giant, 53' bins of produce, with the covered tops.

I wasn't able to pass for half an hour because he was riding the rumble strip and then sliding into the left lane. I was terrified that he'd kill someone!

I tried to raise him on the chatter box, but nothing, so I just kept my distance until I got my nerve up to pass on the left hand shoulder.

Not more than a minute or two later, the CB exploded with drivers screaming about safety managers and video tapes and whatnot.

Is there any honor lost in just calling up the highway patrol when I'm stuck behind these guys? I didn't see what happened, but I know that when I pulled off the road, all the trucks I'd passed but him came flying by.

I'm an honorable guy, I don't call the law on people, but its a whole different set of ethics when lives are at stake!

What would you have done?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Tell him to make sure and spell my name right.

4. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    When you have to even ask the question.. you have to come to the realization that there is not much honor left in the country let alone the industry. Craftsmanship is dead, the days were people want to the whole job and do it better (not just faster and cheaper) than the next guy. The demands on most of these boards and even the drivers I talk to on a daily basis has come down to : "The four wheelers can do "_____" how come we can't too? ". The obvious answers seem to escape drivers these days and I'm tired of trying to explain it to them.

GiantBeard Thanks this.
  5. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    I'll call on ANYBODY that's being a hazard

truckon, BuckeyeKev, Lepton1 and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Rock 'n Roll Relocater

Rock 'n Roll Relocater Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Near Music City
    I used to call those people in even back when doing so meant stopping and finding a pay phone.

7. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Wake them up with your horn usually works

GiantBeard Thanks this.
  8. GiantBeard

GiantBeard Medium Load Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Petaluma/Indio, CA
    Thanks! I'm still totally new at this. I can keep a straight line and not hit anything, but beyond that, I'm not sure what's acceptable within the culture yet.

9. KriegHund

KriegHund Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2015
    On a hill south of heaven
    Passing on the left shoulder is not ok by any stretch of the imagination.

10. Rock 'n Roll Relocater

Rock 'n Roll Relocater Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Near Music City
    Anytime you think their actions are endangering lives drop a dime on them.

White_Knuckle_Newbie Thanks this.
  11. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    Next time you're in this ethical quandary think about this .

March 30 , 1991 my wife with our 18 month old twin daughters were southbound on I-5 a bit south of Redding , CA when they were hit head on by an ag driver with a load consisting of 15 tons of hay and a half gallon of tequila driving northbound .

The crash was so destructive the first responders didn't know there were two babies until they found tthe third hand . The CHP officer who was first on the scene and therefore "owned" the incident ate his weapon six months later . The lead paramedic , who had never touched a drop in his life , drank himself to death in 18 months .

I never hesitate to drop a dime on anyone , regardless the number of wheels , who are driving in a manner potentially lethal . Anyone , ANYONE , who does is , in my opinion , a straight up sociopath . The driver who murdered my family traveled 38 miles northbound in the southbound lanes and no one called in and no one tried to stop him .

BostonTanker, amiller, cnsper and 7 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.