What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Preacher Man, Jan 24, 2009.

1. luvtheroad

luvtheroad Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Central Ohio
    So... How's the weather in Kansas City?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Road Train Member

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    I have another question. I know drivers are getting fuel discounts in addition to a fuel surcharge. My question is how much of a discount on average are drivers getting?

4. ric1jud

ric1jud Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Kingston, Ok

The company I am leased to offers 2 different discount programs, some t/s offer cost plus or cents off. For example ta's is their cost plus 2 or 3 cents per gallon. Thats a good deal when the price of oil is dropping, but when the price is rising they give 5 cents off, which is the better deal. The best savings happens when oil is going down, the savings can be 30, 40, 50 cents per gallon.

1pissedoffdriver and Preacher Man Thank this.
  5. pinebars

pinebars Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2009
    libertyville il
    so was the average pay for an o/o by the mi just starting out as an o/o in IL

6. Preacher Man

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    Let me phrase my question another way. What are drivers paying per gallon on average, not counting the Fuel Surcharge. I know that about $.50 per gallon on the pump price is actually tax, with other discounts what does that bring the actual price down to? I realize these are averages and with the volitility of fuel what you post today will be a bit different tomorrow, but it gives me an idea of what numbers I'm dealing with.

7. coastie

coastie Road Train Member

So your saying Everyone out there it cost 1.80 per mile to run their truck.

HAHAHAHAh Try saying it may cost you 1.80 to run your truck, but others may can run it for less. Every ones operating numbers are different.
    There is to much different rate people are charged for Insurance, Payments on the trucks, and some are paid for.

B&T Rogers, Eskimo6804 and luvtheroad Thank this.
  8. B&T Rogers

B&T Rogers Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kingsley, MI

You hit the nail on the head .......

9. Preacher Man

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    Please, don't just proclaim someone else is wrong give me some numbers. This thread started with a simple question...How is anyone making it leased to any company that only pays $.90 a mile. That is why this thread is titled What am I missing? Either later this year or early next year I would like to get my own truck, but I'm not going to do it unless I can be reasonably sure I can make at least what I make now as a company driver. I may feel his numbers are a little high but 1POD has posted the the most hard numbers and stated the most facts on this thread so far.

10. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I really doubt you can make as much as an O/O as you can as a driver for a good company . I don't deny there are some O/O's out there doing it but the odds are against it . O/O's are quick to say they "made" $100,000 - $150,000 last year . Try to get them to tell you what their net reportable income was . You get "Gee , I have a real good accountant . I don't show much profit ."

11. luvtheroad

luvtheroad Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Good point about O/O vs. working for a good company. Now, to find the company that we would consider "good". Again, another good point about income. What you "made" and what you "made" after all of your expenses is wayyyy different. Of course, there are a lot of people out there who really don't understand that these days you have to be a good business person and know what your costs are. If you aren't a good business person and don't have a good accountant, you are, as they say on here, doomed to failure.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.