What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Preacher Man, Jan 24, 2009.

1. kentuckyrambler2

kentuckyrambler2 Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Pulaski, TN
    I can give you an estimate only on myself, to try and give you one for everyone out there is crazy, because I cannot speek for them and there numbers that they come up with, because of the variables that I mentioned in the previous post. I bet you that a good buisness person accounts for all bills even the owns at home like house payments and things, because if the buisness they are thinking of going into does not include taking care of his/her home bills then why would he or she even think of doing such a thing, HE/SHE WON'T and is NOT going to. So I would rethink those bills you call just salary bills because when you own your own company they better be included or you will not succeed. That means they get paid after the truck then you get paid, which means your NET profit IS less. The more you pay off these expenses the more NET you have. Net is after ALL expenses or bills you owe. Net means clear money that you have with no prior obligations or restrictions tied to it. Even that money that is left, some of it needs to go back for the unexpected or to expand your buisness if your lucky. Your salary or net is what is left after ALL
    bills are paid and what ever amount you put aside as backup money. I am not going by the government standards of what NET is because thats their way of getting more tax money, I understand what you was saying, but I am going by the way a Buisness person looks at NET and that is what is left after all things are paid for, even if that means you cannot deduct it from taxes, it is still a bill that takes from your play money and the less of these bills the more your net (play money) will be. :biggrin_25525:

But to try and help you out, in the next post I will give you some numbers.

1pissedoffdriver Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kentuckyrambler2

Jan 18, 2009
    Pulaski, TN
    This is an AVERAGE of my truck if I ran it at .90cents/mile, but remember I RUN TEAM so lets say the truck gets 6000miles/week.
    I would then average $5,400/week, thats if all miles are paid like ( 1pod ) said.
    Then you would subtract fuel cost AVERAGE of $2,049/week at ( 5.5mpg my truck ) thats with national average fuel surcharge of 18% and
    thats only if you get the national average fuel surcharge of 18%.
    Then subtract my team drivers wage at $1500/week which is .25cents/mile and thats if he will work for that then I am left with $2,451/week but this is NOT NET.
    Then you take the weekly cost of all things such as tags,insurance, truck payment, house payment, ect. ect. and then so much aside for brake downs and you subtract that from $2,451/week which FOR ME would be $1400/week.
    So $2451 subtract $1400 equals $1,051/week.
    Then subtract $25/day for food at 6 days equals $901/week.
    Thats $901/week or $3,604/month or $43,248/year and thats not NET, why because you still have income tax to pay for still, you know that
    which the government calls NET.

AGAIN this would be for me if I ran for .90cents/mile. Remember I RUN TEAM and thats if my team driver will do it for .25cents/mile. I also have NO truck payment, house payment, ect. ect., and thats if ALL miles are paid and if I have no very serious brake downs in the year and if I get the 18% fuel surcharge. Do you see all the "IF's"

So if you are looking for what I would make as a solo it would be LESS then $600/week going by the above.

I hope this helps you and good luck. :biggrin_25525:

1pissedoffdriver Thanks this.
  4. 1pissedoffdriver

1pissedoffdriver Account Retired at members request

Oct 3, 2008
    KC/NY

BUT WAIT,WAIT,WAIT.....YOUR AN O/O WITH A PAID FOR TRUCK...YOU ARE MAKING THE HUGE MONEY....:biggrin_25525:LLOLOLO

kentuckyrambler2 Thanks this.
  5. kentuckyrambler2

Jan 18, 2009
    Pulaski, TN
  6. kentuckyrambler2

Jan 18, 2009
    Pulaski, TN
    that sure is huge money. in mexico maybe.:biggrin_25525:

7. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    Preacher Man, this is a perfect example of being on .90 cpm plus fuel surcharge being better than a percentage pay.

1pod will run 1264 miles including deadhead for $1028.19. which is only .81 cents per mile.

.90 cpm + .25 cpm fuel surcharge = 1.15 per mile. 1264 x 1.15 = $1453.60

8. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Road Train Member

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    1POD if you will look earlier I had a post that pointed out how much I appreciate your posts. You actually put real numbers in your posts. Again, I understand how business in general works. I have not only had "For profit" businesses but I have been a pastor of a small church-read "Not for Profit" and I have been a local director of a start up "Not for Profit" children's ministry. If someone feels your numbers are high, don't just criticise put out some numbers.

Let me go back to my photography illustration. You can rent a studio for $700 a month or $7000. You can purchase a good lense for a few hundred dollars or a few thousand. You can specialize in pets, children, weddings, glamour. Tell me what you want to do and I can give you enough information that you can decide for yourself if what you want to do will work.

That is what I am looking for, enough information that I can make my own decision. Before tempers get too far out of hand let me leave everyone with an old Persian Proverb.

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool, shun him.
    He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a child, teach him.
    He who knows and knows that he knows is wise, follow him.

9. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    Sorry guys I ran outa space.

With that said, there are times when freight is good, and depending on the area you are in, percentage pay will work to your advantage. I have done this both ways over the years. Sometimes mileage is better, after you figure in no pay for deadheading. If a company pays you mileage, they want to control you,so to speak. Much more freedom on a percentage pay.

Just my 2 cents, for what its worth. LOL

10. coastie

coastie Road Train Member

I seen only one thing wrong with this picture but I agree with the point your making. Running Smart is missing. 250 miles deadhead = poor planning ahead. Pulling for Landstar Ranger you are the one picking out your loads, not some dispatcher. Always Go where you can get return load out of, with lease amount of Deadhead.

You have to operate smartly, Not from the bottom of you pants.

11. kentuckyrambler2

Jan 18, 2009
    Pulaski, TN
    this is last long post its late, but feel free to correct my post.
    Its a two part post, check the math, and if I am wrong by the
    figures I post then let me know.

So
    if you are going to go by ( 1pod's ) post then this is what it would be on AVERAGE using ( whoopNride ) ,25cpm fuel surcharge and if your truck gets 5.5 mpg like mine then you are charging the customer an additional $1.375 per 5.5miles or .25cent/mile times 5.5 miles which ever way you wish to look at it, but thats 59.8% of the national average fuel cost of $2.30/gal. Which means your paying only .925 cents/gal average. correct me
    if I am wrong.

so if we go by this: on a 1264 mile run including deadhead you charged an
    additional charge of $316 for that load to that customer when that load already cost them $1137.60 at .90cents/mile meaning now they pay $1,453.60 for load.

So that means: 1264/ 2days or 3792/ 6days
    So a solo= $4360.80 which is for 3792 miles for 6 days at $1.15/mile thats with your fuel surcharge, so 3792 divided by ( 5.5 mpg ) = 689.45 gals of fuel/week.

689.45 times $2.30 cents/gal = $1585.74 fuel/week because you already add the surcharge by charging $1.15/m so we don't subtract the additional .25 cpm it from here, it already be figured in the above Gross.

So
    $4360.80 subtract $1585.74 fuel/week = $2775.06/week

PART 1 OF 2:biggrin_25525:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.