What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Preacher Man, Jan 24, 2009.

1. kentuckyrambler2

kentuckyrambler2 Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Pulaski, TN
    PART 2 of 2

So
    $2775.06/week subtract my $1400/week Like I said I needed for myself and you are left with $1375.06/week, subtract $150/week food and thats $1225.06/week But that is If you run 3792 mile/week yourself every week and if you are paid for all miles including deadhead and if you get fuel surcharge for all miles also including dead head. but that $1225.06/week is still not Net you have got income tax plus thats charging 59.8% fuel surcharge for all miles including dead head miles and thats if you get paid that 59.8%.

So
    Thats at 792 miles more then the post I posted, because remember half of 6000 miles is 3000 miles because I run team, so lets take 792 time that by $1.15/mile which equals $910 more then someone at 3000 miles. thats also 144 gals less and at $2.30/gal thats $331.20 you saved in fuel, but you loose $578.8 additional per week how you ask $910 subtract $331.20 equals $578.8 lose. so now you take that above amount $1225.06 and subtract $578.8 and you get $646.26/week Almost exactlly as I said and its less after income tax.:biggrin_25525:

Again it is late and I may have miscalculated something so feel free to
    check the math and if I made a mistake feel free to reply.:biggrin_255:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kentuckyrambler2

kentuckyrambler2 Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Pulaski, TN
    URGENT MESSAGE, THE FIRST POST I PUT UP WITH NUMBERS IN IT
    HAS BAD MATH, I WAS LOOKING AT ANOTHER NUMBER AND SCREW UP
    MY POST. SORRY TO ALL THAT READ IT, thats what I get for trying to
    do five things at once, the new post with correct numbers is this one.

This is an AVERAGE of my truck if I ran it at .90cents/mile, but remember I RUN TEAM so lets say the truck gets 6000miles/week.
    I would then average $5,400/week, thats if all miles are paid like ( 1pod ) said.
    Then you would subtract fuel cost AVERAGE of $2,049/week at ( 5.5mpg my truck ) thats with national average fuel surcharge of 18% and thats only if you get the national average fuel surcharge of 18%.
    which leaves you with $3351/week
    Then subtract my team drivers wage at $1500/week which is .25cents/mile and thats if he will work for that then I am left with $1851/week but this is NOT NET.
    Then you take the weekly cost of all things such as tags,insurance, truck payment, house payment, ect. ect. and then so much aside for brake downs and you subtract that from $1851/week which FOR ME would be $1400/week.
    So $1851 subtract $1400 equals $451/week.
    Then subtract $25/day for food at 6 days equals $351/week.
    Thats $351/week or $1,404/month or $16,848/year and thats not NET, why because you still have income tax to pay for still, you know that which the government calls NET.

AGAIN SORRY and to "preacher man" and all others that read it, I did not do it intentionally.:biggrin_2552:

4. 1pissedoffdriver

1pissedoffdriver Account Retired at members request

Oct 3, 2008
    KC/NY
    its not poor planning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its the reality in trucking with no work......

no matter were you go anymore you will be dead heading because of lack of work...

today landstar has 2300 loads nationwide and 10,000 available trucks.....hello

luvtheroad Thanks this.
  5. luvtheroad

luvtheroad Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Central Ohio
    1PO'd... I have to agree with you, it hasn't anything to do with poor planning. Or if it does the % of poor planning is pretty small. I don't think its just your company that's suffering like that right now, so if you have to DH, you just have to or if you're a gambler, you can sit and wait, hoping...

Coastie... As you know most O/O's try to go to places that they traditionally know that they can get back out of. Now a lot of that freight is gone because the place is out of business or there isn't enough of it to go around. A lot of shippers, again due to the economy aren't calling in pickups till the day they want it picked up. This kills the ability to plan. That used to be a big "no-no" but now we are so grateful, we take it. So, even the best laid plans on getting freight out of any location might not work like it used to. At best, it's a crap shoot now. Agree with you about the DH, not only are O/O's doing it but company trucks are too. Nothing to do with poor planning, just the nature of the beast right now and trying to keep trucks moving.

1pissedoffdriver Thanks this.
  6. 1pissedoffdriver

Oct 3, 2008
    KC/NY

right on.you nailed the reality of trucking today

7. luvtheroad

Jan 1, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Thank you, I consider that a compliment from you. If there was any way I could have it bronzed I would.

You have a place in NY? The city?

8. coastie

coastie Road Train Member

Hello WAKE please. If you take a load where low freight yes you will have to dead head to many miles. Working Smartly PLAN AHEAD, so you do not have to.. WORK SMARTLY not by the seat of your pants. I do not care if there only one truck or a million, if you work smartly you will not have to deadhead 250 miles.

SO YES it is very poor planning.

9. 1pissedoffdriver

Oct 3, 2008
    KC/NY

question:::: Do you own your own trucks and plan all your loads ?

luvtheroad Thanks this.
  10. luvtheroad

Jan 1, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Coastie... That's not what either of us are saying or trying to convey. If you take a load to a place that there has ALWAYS been frieight coming out of and there is NO freight for whatever reason, that is NOT poor planning. You did notice I didn't call it backhaul either LOL. You have options.
    1. park your truck until the economy improves (be sure to start it once in awhile during cold weather)
    2. you can take a load and go to where you hope there is freight that you can get to get out of wherever you are.
    3. if you get to a place and there is no freight you can
    a. dead head to get freight
    b. sit tight until you get freight where you are
    These are all good plans. This is good planning.
    No one can guarentee that a load that is called into your company will be there. Sometimes a customer cancels an order and then the shipper has to cancel the truck. You have no pickup, no load. Please dont tell me thats poor or bad planning. It's a fact of life and not just now, been happening forever. You can not constitute that as poor planning either.
    You had better believe that ALL dispatchers and sales reps are scrambling for freight right now. None of those people are sitting on their hands or with their feet propped up reading the paper. They are on the phone all day long or visiting with customers, asking for business.
    In the perfect world, and I sure don't live in it right now, maybe you do, we would pick up a profitable load with little time for loading, take it to the customer who is happy to see us and takes the freight off the truck right away. We then go to another pickup, lets say, at the same industrial park No deadhead miles. And they load us and we continue the saga. Again profitable loads.
    It just isnt happening now. Read the trucking industry weekly news, look around, its not poor or bad planning.
    If you have a better plan and can give all of us that plan with some detail, I for one would be more than happy to read it and hopefully profit from it. Just don't continue to say bad planning. :biggrin_25525:

1pissedoffdriver Thanks this.
  11. 1pissedoffdriver

Oct 3, 2008
    KC/NY
    Here is the kicker.Today with so many cut throat agents and brokers.Even if you planned all your week ahead the loads are cancelling left and right today...

Why you ask ???? because sad but true the agent or broker found someone to do it cheaper....lol

So there you sit in lets say atlanta under the hopes you had a load.Know its gone and cancelled.Get on load board and you will see there is no loads paying good and the 1 load that is,is going in a different direction..

So from there mr no it all you have to cancell the loads you originally had planned why?because you just lost the load you ''pre planned''

duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

So now what?

1 - deadhead 500 miles to get your next load you ''planned''
    2- start all over again in atlanta and prey the loads dont cancelll....

duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

dangerous dave Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.