What are DOT inspection levels?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Harley, Mar 9, 2008.

1. dieselbear

dieselbear Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Even if you have no violations or just received a warning, your company must be furnished the inspection report by you the driver. The police officer gives it to you, you sign it and the company official will sign, title, and date the report and mail or fax back to the State's lead Commercial Vehicle unit, the address/name indicated on the report within fifteen days. If not when the company gets audited that is a violation noted by the auditor. And yes there are 6 current inspection levels, Level 6 is radioactive. There is talk there will be a Level 7 added soon, for motor coach.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Capt.Kirk

Capt.Kirk Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2006
    Beechgrove, TN
    I think it depends on the the way you conduct yourself when you walk in the door on what mood they might be in. I've always gone it with a positive additude and come out with a positive experiance.

4. dieselbear

dieselbear Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008
    It's a simple formula. Ok you as a driver pull into my scale, have your stuff together. Have you log book current to your last change and not falisified. Trust me many ways to verify, just how hard I want to dig. Have your seatbelt on ( about 10% drive in without, the other 50% take it off as they pull out and looked surprised when I pull up beside them half mile from the scale.) The majority of the tickets i issue are for being either lazy and not taking care of what you are supposed to do or for having a piece of junk with bad brakes, tires and any other neccesary equipment. It's like the Fram commercial a few years ago "pay a little now or a lot later."

5. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal

6. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I have been pulled over on the side of the road twice for inspection. Not for speeding or anything else.

Just because I was there and the DOT guy needed an inspection.

7. Powder Joints

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    1 more reason to not go to IL, I don't miss Farmer John anyway.

8. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    Bad news for you.

They did not happen in Illinois. In fact, none of my inspections happened there.

9. Powder Joints

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Nah, I still do not miss IL.

10. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    In most cases it's the state department of vehicle enforcement or what ever they call it . Some regular state police and some county officers are trained to do it . The inspection should take less than an hour . If you pass a level one they are supposed to put a CVSA sticker on the windshield of your tractor showing the quarter of the year you were inspected . This lessens the odds of another inspection that quarter . In Ohio bears will sit in the median before a rest area and randomly pick trucks to inspect . In MI they sit watching the customs booths at Port Huron and grab trucks after they leave customs . Nothing like waiting over an hour at the bridge toll then customs then getting picked by the DOT .

11. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    Don't feel bad. I have not been to California since October 2008.

I don't miss it either and do not plan on seeing anytime soon.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.