What are Owner-Operators actually paid at Swift?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by coty, Jul 10, 2011.

1. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Nothing like reviving an old thread to indulge one's ignorance.

A21CAV Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Luse

Luse Medium Load Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Middle of nowhere Montana
    How does that old saying go. It's better to remain silent then remove all doubt.

MM3Deg and HousTank Thank this.
  4. SteveH85396

SteveH85396 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Waddell, AZ
    I'm on the "legacy" pay scale. I make between $.96-$2.39 a mile PLUS fuel rebate per mile and $.845 per MT mile. If you lease a truck today your pay package will be considerably different. You'll make less per loaded mile than I do but more per MT mile.
    This week (ending today 05/13) I ONLY ran 1915 loaded & 366 MT miles. I NETTED $773.73 and put $456.20 (which is MY MONEY) into my maintaince account.
    In plain english I made $.54 per mile net.

kee1227 Thanks this.
  5. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    Quick question for these paid by the miles lease ops. When the company pays $0.92cpm, are they paying you the hub mile? Or at least the actual real, legal truck route miles? If they are paying $0.92cpm on HHG miles I'm seriously wondering how you can even afford a peanut butter and jelly sandwich at the end of the day.

6. SteveH85396

SteveH85396 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Waddell, AZ
    Swift pays based on HHG miles. You got to check each and every load cause they will seriously SCREW YOU given the chance!

7. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    No where in the Swift OTR pay structure is there a $.92 ... the lowest is $.955 + FSC + mt mile pay at $.856 ... that's the floor. The least you can make .... My short week after coming off vacation I cleared $550 to the truck after covering my costs for 2 weeks .. this first full week back I cleared $2250 to the truck, week before going vacation I cleared $2700 to the truck, week before that $2100 to the truck ... I eat quite well, thank you.

My actual odometer miles last year - not just hub, but everything, including driving around the parking lot, getting lost and o/d; was only 7% more than my dispatched/paid miles. This year, as of May 1, it is only 3.5% ... It seems lately, the DMs have been very acquiescent on making route adjustments.

8. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    I'm not going to harp on what you clear because everyone's costs are different and I have no idea how you figuring everything. But, I would like to know what your getting To The Truck per mile.

9. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    Icesheeple, I know that you are new out here and leased to great Landstar, but just the other week I ran about 2800 miles. My net, AFTER ALL EXPENSES, almost $1700. Take out the $450 I put in my maintenance account so $1250. I also eat quite well and fly to the across the great ocean all the time, and also drive a nice 2016 KW. Without including what I have taken out for maintenance which is my option, not Swifts, for 2800 miles it costs me about .60/mi. Fuel and truck and ins and toll passes(which Swift pays the tolls) and QC is included in that .60/mi

10. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    $1250?

So a company driver working at say Crete getting .45 per mile doing 2800 miles will earn the same. Besides less taxes, paid vacation and no fixed costs when the truck stops.
    Not trolling.. just don't understand why take on more risk for maybe about the same money as a company driver?

#1don Thanks this.
  11. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    Add that $450 back into that 1250. That is my maintenance account which is voluntarily. Being a devils advocate here, if leasing a truck is so bad, why did you go IC with Pumpkin. Taxes, paid vacation and when the truck stops. And do not tell me that they are better. I tried them over 4 years ago when they had both the 1 year deal and the load board if you qualified. I went to Orientation as was told that I did not and was put in the 1 year program and the first night that I took my truck for test drive with instructor, caught on fire 1 mile from the terminal on the way back. Total loss. To replace it they told me to take a old 379 Pete with 50 gal tanks and baby bunk and said, do not worry, it is only for 1 year then you can upgrade. Great deal. Was told by instructors and the financing agent, "Do not let them talk you into something that you do not want". And remember, you left Crete

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.