What are "Practical Miles"?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by rodcannon, May 21, 2008.

1. jamesgar2747

jamesgar2747 Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2012
    The main 3 types of miles:
    1. Ryan McNally Household to Household - movers use it to go the shortest distance between points using any two lane road.
    2. Ryan McNally Practical - usually the fastest route using mostly Interstates & major highways.
    3. Actual Miles or hub miles from the speedometer.

Most companies use Household to household which 3-10 percent shorter. It does not count the ups and downs or curves in mountains or dog legs in the route.
    Most companies are shorting (cheating) us an average of 5%.

Set your odometers and see the difference for your self.
    Practical is better.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Something most companies use to screw you outta money by not paying you for the miles you actually drive

antoinefinch Thanks this.
  4. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    "Ryan" McNally?
    Isn't it Rand McNally?

5. Ebola Guy

Ebola Guy Heavy Load Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Manitowoc, WI
    Ryan is the lesser known second cousin once removed of Rand McNally. He's the one who supplies the maps for the gpses that lead truckers to hit low bridges.

AfterShock Thanks this.
  6. antoinefinch

antoinefinch Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Phenix City, Alabama
    do they charge the customer for hub miles(the actual miles from point a to b)

7. antoinefinch

antoinefinch Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Phenix City, Alabama
    so when companies say pay per mile its sorta of a lie? we are the only profession that doesn't get paid for all the work we do! any other job if its says 8.00 per hr doesn't make you work 8 hrs and only pay for 6 hrs sad

Midnightrider909 Thanks this.
  8. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Not mine. We get paid by the day plus mileage bonuses.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Unless it's Hub miles you stand to lose about 15% more or less overall miles in unpaid. Maybe a little bit more.

Routing has become a problem to those of us accustomed to taking whatever suitable route. For example... there is a nor'easter dumping blizzard into westvirginia we would bypass all that using the PA Turnpike without snow but rains. We save all sorts of problems by not heading into 68 across a stormy WVa. But we pay in hours out of route and miles run out of route plus the extra fuel burned. So it's a wash.

It's alot of money running a big truck anywhere. And that is what makes our World go around. Money. Pay me. LOL.

10. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    That 15% is just plain conjecture. I've tracked my odometer vs my dispatchedad miles over an annualized basis for 2 years now. The difference averages at 5%.

11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Depends on the company. There was a class action lawsuit (still ongoing?) with Swift for just this. They would pay zip miles to drivers but but charge true miles to customer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.