What are the pros and cons on getting a older truck?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Lucky Ducky 13, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Lucky Ducky 13

Lucky Ducky 13 Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2016
    Im getting a 1994 pete 379 what sre my pros and cons on this deal?

What possible problems might i go through?

Is it a good idea to run local until i get my truck up to date?

What issues should i be worried about?

Need some really good advise

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    There are so many variables there with just the little info you dribbled out who can say. If it's been running and workin everyday why be scared out it in the wind. If it's been sitting a good while and this one and that one tinkering with it could go either way. With its age expect anything

4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    The biggest problems I've found with older trucks is the electrical system. While a '94 Pete is nothing like the newer trucks, electrical wise, the fuse box ( behind clutch pedal) is a constant source of trouble. Under hood wiring takes a beating, and under the dash is a spaghetti bowl of problems. On my older trucks, rather than find the bad wire, I'd always just run a new wire. If there's no rust, used trucks are always rebuildable. I'd never buy a new truck, and made money with older trucks. Be aware, if you can't fix it yourself, an older truck will run you into the ground with repair costs.

5. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    There are so many of these guys buying trucks that wont get grease under their nails....

They'll Never make it paying a shop. Never make it.

The way "freight" is so competitive these days, Leaves low profits and certainly not enough to pay a Shop $110 per hour to Fix Anything/Everything that goes wrong

the Easy part is buying a truck. The Hard part is making yourself a success story.

6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    That's true. I did almost everything myself ( except tires and major engine work) and saved a lot of money ( but took it's toll on my marriage, sorry, truck comes 1st, or no money sweetheart. She just couldn't understand that) There were guys leased to the same company I was, that couldn't change a battery cable, and guess what, they did go under. For me, an older truck is the only way to go.

7. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    None of us are Superman.... Meaning we can't "see through cast iron". I was always taught to look for the little things as well as big things. Once I tore into this 1995 W900L I bought I found "little things" that would cause problems, especially if I ever put a driver in it. Clutch rod had one end ready to come apart, after looking close I seen the radiator was badly rotted, couple airbag mounts had cracks, all little things mostly but it all adds up. Take your time and look close. Lot of older trucks out there doing a great job so don't be scared, but look look and look.

Pedigreed Bulldog Thanks this.
  8. flatbeb mac

flatbeb mac Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2015
    It really depends on the previous owner and his level of caring for the truck. I would really really inspect it closely before sealing the deal. I bought a 93 w900l that had a reman engine/trans and both drive axles, new front end. I knew there were electric issues and the airbags were rotten and some other small stuff. Ironically I missed something dead in my face, actually took me a couple months to notice. The hangers for the sway bars were cracked. That cost me a couple grand. Other than that awesome truck (knock on wood)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    Pedigreed Bulldog Thanks this.
  9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Old truck pros:
    The gremlins have long since been evicted
    Avoid the ELD mandate
    Few like yours on the road
    You can work on it yourself

Old truck cons:
    Wear & tear parts may be worn & torn
    SOME companies don't like signing them on
    Depending upon HOW old/rare, parts may be tough to find when/where you need them
    You have to work on them.

OLDSKOOLERnWV and Getsinyourblood Thank this.
  10. kw550cat

kw550cat Medium Load Member

May 22, 2012
    brooklyn, new york
    how mechanically inclined are you?

11. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Old truck with a lot of miles is just like buying an old car with a lot of miles. Some were treated better and maintained better than others.

Maintenance records/reciepts or lack there of will usually tell the story.

That and anyone with a little mechanical aptitude and the patience to actually look over and check everything out will be miles ahead vs someone buying a truck sight unseen.

Hurst

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.