What are the right questions to ask a trucking company when joining a lease purchase program

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by dashaker, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Wickedfire77

Wickedfire77 Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern, Michigan
    Lower your expectations.
    The average lease OP doesn't make that. And if they do, it's not consistant.
    If you are gung-ho about doing it, forget about who pays the most and find the lowest fixed cost.
    Keep that low and your chances of making money go up.

dashaker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dashaker

dashaker Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2014
  4. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Insurance/plates/permits/truck payment. The costs that are still due each week whether you are running or not... IE instead of getting a paid vacation as a company driver, you'll be taking an unpaid vacation but still owe 500-1000$ for that week. Same goes for breakdowns... A lot of lease drivers fail when they don't have the reserves and a month of constant breakdowns keep them in the shop 75% of the time.

dashaker Thanks this.
  5. Wickedfire77

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern, Michigan
    And this is why you aren't yet ready. Do more research on what you are getting into.
    Do more than asking questions on here.

6. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    So you want to do a lease purchase to enable you to save money so you can purchase a different truck? I don't even know where to start. You realize that most lease purchases require a down payment typically between $5, 000-$15, 000 right?

A lease purchase is a path to first time truck ownership for those who could not otherwise be granted a business loan. There are a few good l/p deals and many more bad ones. The good ones can work however it can be a rigorous processes, requiring dedication, perseverance, know how, and very importantly some operating capitol to pull you though rough patches. I would suggest having your personal bills payed, along with food and spending money for three months, and $5, 000 in the bank.

A lease purchase is not, the road to instant glory and $2, 000 paychecks for those who are uninformed, uneducated, wouldn't know the difference between a good a load and being thrown over a barrel, and would thus be incredibly easy to take advantage of. Stay company and save your money that way.

Once a Rookie and FLYMIKEXL Thank this.
  7. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    You're not ready to take on the responsibility of making payments on a $150, 000 truck. There's a bunch of great info on this site that could get you up to speed, best get to reading.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  8. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    A lease guy makes the same as a hard working company guy. They just got more headache to deal with

9. dashaker

dashaker Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2014
    i understand what you guys are saying im currently taking online classes for a associate degree in business i have a few months left... i knew what a fixed cost meant but as for trucking i didnt know what that consist of...i have ran into several drivers that lease trucks that have told me they do it for the money and i would tell them how much i make and they be like i wouldnt get in a truck for that...ima jump into that water and see cause i kno how to swim lol thanks alot for the info

10. Once a Rookie

Once a Rookie Bobtail Member

May 1, 2016
    Branford, Fl
    I work for a great company in North FL I make great money with them and best of all they are great people to work for and there is absolutely no drama. However I want to have my own once again but to do so at this point my only option is to do a L/P with a larger company but I just can't decide on the proper direction to go. I have friends at both Mercer and at Jones and all of them say they are doing well but at the same time I hear about the $1.34 cpm freight that they are having to haul because they can't afford to bounce 500 miles to get in a better lane. With that being said its not really about the money for me because most weeks I am in the 1500-1600 pay range while so many in the L/P game aren't doing much better. So what's a person to do? Do I stay here making a check every week and keep doing the same ole same ole or do I jump into whatever comes next?

11. Wickedfire77

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern, Michigan
    What is your endgame ? Are you after truck ownership or steady no drama paychecks?
    Take a deep breath and realize how rare the position is that you are in , making that much as a co driver. I'd stay put and enjoy paid vacations and health benifits.

H_Badger and Once a Rookie Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.