What are the safest and most dangerous truckstops??

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by bananaz, Aug 6, 2006.

1. mustang970

mustang970 Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
    Always found the Tulip truckstop in Holland MI to be a nice place. Folks were always decent. But I hear that one is closing.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mustang970

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
    One of the best, of course its long gone, the Blue and White east of Indy. Some older CFI drivers will remember it as the supper club. Even had its own CFI drivers booth. NOt really just seemed there was always somebody in that both. Was a run down joint for years, then they spent some cash and remodeled. Plenty of parking. Used to be full service for no extra charge. Had good grub, clean showers after the remodel. But about a year later fell victim to the large chains I guess.

4. mustang970

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
    The Windmill truckstop south of Lansing was always a good one too. Good chow, safe place to park. Always have good memories about that place, as seemed it was my fathers favorite place to stop when he was hauling tires in MI and I got to ride with him. But another one that is falling victim to the large chains, as i hear it is closing too. Just like the mom and pop stores falling victim to wal-mart. I know its the nature of buiness and compition, but just hate seeing the smaller places going by the way side.

5. mustang970

Mar 27, 2009
    Homeless
    One more of my favorites, although rarely had a chance to stop there while OTR. Its South of Saginaw MI, don't remember the name, It's in Birch Run MI, had it's own in house bakery, the best apple turnovers, ever, anywhere. The food in the restaurant was always great and good for the money. Usually had somebody selling MI apples and cherries for the back of a pick up, couldn't pass that up.

6. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    J Des Moines is got to be the worst

7. halfburn

halfburn Medium Load Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Jasper AL
    A former driver opened a truck stop in Illinois if I remember right. Middle of the state? I used to stop there when he first started to support it but cannot remember where it was or the name et.... Wonder how he made out?

8. cplmac2

cplmac2 Heavy Load Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Watford City, ND
    The only really decent truck stop in the middle of IL that stands out to me is the Dixie. The one thing that really makes it stand out is it's huge parking lot, although if your not careful where you put you tires you could roll in some of those enormous pot holes, particularly by the south turn in.

9. sm9686

sm9686 Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Mpls, MN
    I once watched 2 pimps hit each other with base ball bats. I cheered them on! "Hit em again, Hit em again!".

10. Bigstretch

Bigstretch Light Load Member

Jun 14, 2008
    NW IL
    Getting to be? Been a dump for years. The worst J I've ben to so far is the one in Benton Harbor, MI. Lizzards bothered me every time I stopped after 7PM when a lot of guys were rolling in for the night. Even got a knife jabbed into a drive tire. #### ######......... :biggrin_25516:

At least the Menards was next door to the J in Des Moines. Had to buy a few tools to drop a driveshaft in the parking lot went the cross took a crap on me. Was able to lock in the PD to limp home.

Really liked the Bosselmans in Grand Island, NE. Big, clean, and plenty of stuff to do if you have to layover there. Chrome shop isn't near as big as the one at the Iowa80, but still nice.

11. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    I hope not. We pull a dedicated paint load to Holland and this is where we weigh light and heavy. It was open last week.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.