What are you suppose to do when you get the FLU OTR

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Aarrons, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Aarrons

Aarrons Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2015
    Rest or keep on trucking?

I'm asking what regulations say not what you though truckers would do.
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. turtle1969

turtle1969 Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2015
    rest when tired to avoid the a hole you may come in contact with, and do what you feel is what you can do

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  4. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

5. turtle1969

turtle1969 Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2015
    what he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  6. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Shut it down if you feel sick. Don't push yourself so hard while you're sick if you try to run. That's what I do. When I get the flu or get sick, I'll finish out my current load but not run a full 10 hours. I'll work a partial day if there is enough time on the load and then find a nice comfortable and safe place to shut down for 48-73 hours and just sleep, eat, drink lots of water, take lots of vitamins and just rest. Usually that gets me back in my feet and running again. Besides, I'm very grouchy when I'm sick :boxing:

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  7. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    I had the flu or flu like symptoms once. Loaded up and was 30 mins away from where I need to be. Thought I could make it and shut down. Nope, way too sick and my yard was 15 mins away. Told dispatch to repower it and slept in my truck for a day until I was good enough to get up and go home.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  8. Lightside

Lightside Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    I think the main reason I haven't started trucking yet is because I suffer from migraines now and again. Not often but when it happens it takes me 2 days to get over it. Any one had headaches from driving? I know eye strain and stress come with the job and that is what I am afraid would trigger a migraine. Especially if I haven't eaten.

9. Rock 'n Roll Relocater

Rock 'n Roll Relocater Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Near Music City
    The one thing I was happiest about when I transitioned from driving a stagecoach to driving a truck was the fact that I could pull over in a truck but never could in a stagecoach. I was so sick one time on the way to a label show in LA that I had to put a trash can by me and every five or ten minutes I would lean over and hurl. Worst day EVER on the road. I made it there and was able to get to the hotel and sleep the whole day, and only had to hurl once or twice on the way to SF that night.....took me longer to get over it I am sure but not much I could do about it. The old adage 'The show must go on' is real when you're on a concert tour.

10. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Don't get sick, and don't touch your face with your hands
    And wash your hands
    Wash your hands
    Wash your hands, and did I say wash your hands

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  11. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    BUMP This .... wash wash wash........over and over. TY @Bakerman

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.