What are your greatest fears?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by DigginDog52, Apr 26, 2016.

1. DigginDog52

DigginDog52 Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2016
    Portland, Oregon
    Hi all... I'm new to your forum and I joined because I wanted to better understand truckers and their concerns or fears as it relates to your work. I have my CDL and for a time worked as a bus operator for Tri-Met, a large Portland Oregon based transit agency. I was responsible for moving passengers safely from point to point throughout the city, primarily during morning and afternoon rush hours. When I began my work, I still remember thinking how easily it would be to lose my job over some unfortunate traffic incident that may not have even been my fault. It really bothered me. I also learned that as a professional driver, I would always be considered guilty until proven innocent. And finally, I gained a tremendous amount of respect for the difficult work truckers do. Really, I thought the job would be easy, until I actually got in the drivers seat. What a ride!

So my question is: "what are some of your greatest fears as you go about your work on the road, and how do you personally deal with those fears?:

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Steve M.

moloko, vanishing point and xlsdraw Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    I developed a strange fear over time(Been driving 25 years) But I wanna say in 2007-ish....I developed a fear of bridges in a truck (not car though)...

I'm talking about the Long-High ones built for the Big Boys to go under..

Examples- Chesapeake bay bridge- Delaware Memorial- Throgs Neck- Sunshine Skyway- Or that real skinny high one in Baltimore on I-695..

I don't exactly Know WHY this happened to me, But it did..So Now When I have to cross these bridges, Panic sets in and I'll either have to go over them Real Fast or Really Slow as my heartrate elevates

In a car- Not a problem, Just a truck

I tried every method to eliminate this "phonia" But I still Panic well in advance of knowing a bridge is coming..Must be phsychological I guess

4. DigginDog52

Apr 22, 2016
    Portland, Oregon
    Wow... that is a real fear! Are you just going to deal with it, or have you considered getting some professional help?

5. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Everytime I load up and drive the first 50 miles, I'm concern how my load is. just a thought on the back of my mind.
    Did I strap it right? Did I protect the strap so it won't cut? What happen if it shift and all the strap cut open.
    Spilling my freight on the interstate concern me but having a 8,000lb, 10 feet high, 17 feet across thick sheet of glass falling onto a vehicle besides me, well guess it's fear to kill someone.

I had a strap racket fail on me once. Always on my mind if it will happen again

crb, Pandemic, Mudguppy and 1 other person Thank this.
  6. stayinback

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    I just deal with it....Don't know what I can do..I have over 2 million accident free miles to my resume, So I guess it must not be too bad....

7. DigginDog52

Apr 22, 2016
    Portland, Oregon
    Does all of this ever make you think your getting paid too little for risks your taking?

Badmon and crb Thank this.
  8. stayinback

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    ALL professional drivers who put forth 100% effort are paid too little..

I mentioned something of this nature a few years back on another thread....

Unless you work for a Union carrier, Or you Drive a Truck for a Private entity/fleet/manufacturer.....You (the Driver) Are the Lowest paid upon the foodchain of transportation..
    '
    Sad Truth that nobody does anything about..Even Custodians cleaning up a Trucking companies Lounge or shop probably scores a better living than these drivers

I have been fortunate enough to raise a family and live well by being smarter than the next..But its sad, You have to actually "Outsmart" your fellow drivers to prevail. No Equality whatsoever amongst drivers..No representation or Pride.

bzinger Thanks this.
  9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    They get a bad rap from John Wayne Gacy because of his dry humor; wearing a clown suit while burying bodies under his house.

tscottme Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.