What cell phone carrier is best for OTR?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by ClutchCargo777, Jul 26, 2015.

1. ClutchCargo777

ClutchCargo777 Light Load Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Southern California
    All,

I am looking to get a new smartphone and need to know what carrier you guys think is the best? (Understanding with the new techonology Ill need the TransFlo app to take pictures on the phone of the BOL's) I have had boost before and remember driving across states like New Mexico and having no service for 4 hours or more! Thoughts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I use verizon and am happy with the service. It is expensive but it works pretty much everywhere. With their new phones you can now talk through the 4g signal if you can't get any bars. Between the two I can't find a dead spot anymore. I run I-80 and north, plus PA NY NJ MD.

Balakov100, 12 ga and ClutchCargo777 Thank this.
  4. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Verizon is the best for nationwide coverage,
    I was in Flagstaff and we all liked the song on the radio, but wasn't sure who sung it, the bartender tried Soundhound but her local Internet was super slow.
    I installed the Soundhound app and got the singers name before her. And she had the app!!!!!
    But then I pay dearly for Verizon,

ClutchCargo777 Thanks this.
  5. Nitemare13

Nitemare13 Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Hudson, Fl
    I use MetroPCS which uses t mobile towers. Unlimited talk, text and data $90 for my wife and I. Never had any signal problems.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    ClutchCargo777 Thanks this.
  6. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    I have Verizon. I still run into places where I drop a call, but I'll get the signal back once out of the valley I'm in. I pay way too much. I'm paying $140 a month for just me and I have a data cap of 4 gigs. Then its an extra ten bucks per 2 gigs.

I had Virgin and the service was terrible. I'd lose signal out in the middle of nowhere and can't afford to be unable to call someone in an emergency.

If and when I get out of the OTR racket. I'd get the Walmart straight talk plan. One other idea I have been tossing around is getting a cheap straight talk plan. It's like $40 for unlimited everything. Then getting a repeater installed in the truck. If that could get me signal in the boonies, so I could still call for a tow, cab, parts truck. Then I might pursue that avenue.

Anyone on a cheap unlimited data plan, and running a signal boost repeater? How's it working out?

7. ncdriver1

ncdriver1 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    I use t-mobile because it has the unlimited data for $79 per month. I use an app to tether to my laptop for internet access. When its 4g or lte its way better than the truck stop wifi. BUT there are a lot of deadzones...like WV, entire state is basically a dead zone for tmobile. I live in the North East and its solid all the way from Maine down into VA running 95/84/91/njtpk

8. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    You will but it's because T-Mobile and att need to renegotiate their roaming contracts with one another.

I have T-Mobile with a $40 net 10 on Verizon to cover the dead spots and I'm still spending less money than going with Verizon exclusively

icsheeple Thanks this.
  9. rayraythetrucker

rayraythetrucker Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2015
    got dirt ?
    Verizon. lose service a little on I 10 in TX but pretty good coverage elsewhere

10. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    Everyone does in some spots on West Texas. US285 between Fort Stockton and Sanderson is an example. Nobody has service.

rayraythetrucker Thanks this.
  11. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    I use Verizon. Like others have said, it can be spendy. But where I live, out in the country in South Dakota, it's the only one available for me that works at my house. Also, Verizon has a Canada/Mexico plan too. I need it as we go to Canada fairly often.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.