What Class of Truck for Hot Shot

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Cummins757, Jun 9, 2015.

1. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    Just to give you an idea, Oil and fuel filters cost more for my 6.0 Ford, than my 3406E CAT.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I wouldn't consider anything that isn't made for hauling.

An m2 class 7 is the one I would consider at the bottom of the list, I drove one for years and it held up ok. Once I got into class 8 trucks,mi found that the costs dropped, so you can save more money in the long run, even on the used end of the spectrum. It wouldn't matter if it is a freight liner or kW or what ever, the driveline is the most important part. For me, I would never get a Columbia or a Coronado, I just don't like them but I would consider a kW 600 series or 800 series. I have been driving western stars for the last 16 months (among other trucks) and if I go back into otr or what ever I would get one.

4. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    Go ahead and grab some vin numbers from various trucks. Then get insurance quotes with them. You would be surprised at some of the differences.

5. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    We run a lot of 3500, 4500, and 5500's here and we have very little problems with them. Across the board all our guys end up at 10 mpg on their IFTA reports.

I ran big trucks most of my life, I swapped out to smaller trucks for a lower operating cost almost 12 years ago. Was the best move we could've made. If they were giving semi trucks away to today, I wouldn't take one. Everyone has different experiences though.

Heres a few picture to give you an idea of what can be done with the smaller trucks.

NadeauTrucking Thanks this.
  6. Cummins757

Cummins757 Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2015
    New Jersey
    Which truck have you found is better (3500, 4500, 5500)? How about the braking? Do t you have to have a DOT sleeper on there? Are your costs really much less than a tractor

7. Cummins757

Jun 3, 2015
    New Jersey
    I see some of your pics have sleeps on them. Why not just get a tractor and you can still tow the same stuff withou any worries

8. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    All three trucks are good. As far as braking, all the late model Rams have exhaust brakes, and with the Aisin Trans option you'd be surprised at how well they slow these trucks down. I barely touch my brake peddle.

There's no law that says you have to have a sleeper on a truck. I know owner operators that get motel rooms, I know some that sleep in sleepers, and I know some that Have modified their back seat for sleeping. They sell sleepers, and sleeper kits for all these Rams.

As far as cost, do yourself a favor and call a truck stop that has a service bay, or a semi truck dealership and ask them how much a oil change is, and then call a tire shop and ask them how much a brand new semi truck tire costs. After that call Dodge and Ask them how much a oil change costs for a ram 3500 with a cummins diesel. And then call your local tire shop and price a new tire for a dodge truck.

I can tell you, the last two semi truck tires I purchased, about 12 years ago cost me $550.00 a piece mounted and balanced. That's $1,100.00 for two steer tires. The last time I purchased new tires for a Dodge truck I paid $900.00 for all 6 (a complete set) mounted and balanced. I just had the oil changed in my 2015 Ram at the dealer, it cost me $69.00. I don't keep up with oil change prices on semis anymore so you'll have to check on that yourself.

Best advice I can give you is to sit down with a calculator and run all the numbers before making your decision.

NadeauTrucking Thanks this.
  9. Cummins757

Jun 3, 2015
    New Jersey
    What r your thoughts on manual vs automatic? Minus the trailer how much can you tow? How much weight can you put on your trailer?

10. jeffman164

jeffman164 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    2003 and older = pre emission trucks .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.