What Class of Truck for Hot Shot

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Cummins757, Jun 9, 2015.

1. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California

With the exhaust brakes and Aisin automatic transmissions all three that you mentioned are good. Test drive one, you just might be surprised at how well the exhaust brake and Aisin automatic trans works. Be sure to try the tow haul mode with the exhaust brake.

There's no law that says you must have a sleeper, however we do recommend one. And yes the operating cost is much less, otherwise I'd of kept all my big trucks.

I see guys talking about buying older big trucks today and the fact is they're still going to have to make them carb compliant. And what's bad is those older trucks weren't designed to run with today's emissions. You hear about retrofitted older semi trucks burning to the ground all the time.

You hear some guys saying, well, we just won't run into California. That just makes me chuckle. I say good luck with that. I hear those same guys talking about how they're struggling to survive because of the lack of freight, and low rates offered in the Midwest, and on the east coast.

To me cutting out California inbound, or outbound freight would be like trying to swim with both hands tied behind your back. It's critical you leave all your options open.

Have you read the big truck forums and Facebook groups and heard how many guys are complaining about rates and freight availability? If not, you should spend a little time checking it out.

And let be perfectly clear, there's no single type of trucking you're guaranteed to succeed at. If you have no trucking experience it can be a real struggle.

rabbiporkchop and truckon Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I ran an '06 Topkick with a service body on it a couple years ago. It had a few minor wiring issues but it worked alright. I'm in a new F550 now and I hate it. Mirrors and ride quality suck horribly (no air seat). On the plus side I burn almost half as much fuel in the F550 w/Powerjoke than the Topkick 5500 w/Dirtymax.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  4. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I think if you put a Cummins in the GMC Topkick you would have the ultimate vehicle.QUOTE="NorthernMechanic, post: 4861206, member: 167097"]I ran an '06 Topkick with a service body on it a couple years ago. It had a few minor wiring issues but it worked alright. I'm in a new F550 now and I hate it. Mirrors and ride quality suck horribly (no air seat). On the plus side I burn almost half as much fuel in the F550 w/Powerjoke than the Topkick 5500 w/Dirtymax.[/QUOTE]
    I

5. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
  6. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    I[/QUOTE]
    If you did put the cummins in one. Make sure its not the 5.9 24 valve. Now if you were to put a 8.3 of L10 in one. Then your talking and would be nice. I have a C5500 now with a 275 HP 5.9 24 valve. It does a good job, but grossing 30,000 lbs don't look for it to last that long. Its working hard all the time with a load. Also have it hooked to a 6 speed allison trans..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  7. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    A buddy of mine has an 8.3 Cummins with an Allison md3060 6 speed transmission in his motor home and he pulls a 30000 pound trailer with that thing and it barely slows down on a hill

8. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    WOW 30,000 lb trailer behind the motor home? Must be one of those double stacker car trailers? Must have the fuel turned up to it and a few more mods if it pulls that great.
    I do wish mine had the 8.3 but that is life.
    Pete

9. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    1994 American dream motorhome.
    dual 15k Dexter axles under trailer[​IMG]

10. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    What tires are under that trailer?

11. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    not sure, but the whole setup is 75 feet long

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.