What Do I Do When I Had a CDL and I Want To Drive Again OTR

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by DolphinsKings, Nov 28, 2015.

1. DolphinsKings

DolphinsKings Bobtail Member

Nov 28, 2015
    Billings, Montana
    Well here is my question: I had a CDL Class A license back in 2011 and in 2012 I got laid off. It was hard for me to find a job in 2012 - 2013 for I had little experience. So I decided to go Non-CDL in October 2013. I got a job driving straight trucks for HLS. But I got laid off in 2014 it was extremely frustrating. I want to get back into driving big rigs OTR again. Can I get my CDL back at my renewal of my Class D in May 2016? I have had it before so I think I can. Any suggestions will help. I want to be a Trucker again.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    Why?

Canned Spam Thanks this.
  4. hiredgun

hiredgun Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2014
    SEMO
    Don't know how Montana is,but I know in Missouri you would be required to take the Class A driving test again.

5. CJndaTruck

CJndaTruck Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Knoxville, TN (area)
    You can. But you will need to retest. Go get your permit, rent a truck and retest. You don't have to wait till renewal time.

6. hiredgun

hiredgun Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2014
    SEMO
    CJnda Truck is correct you will have to retest in order to get Class A back.

7. DolphinsKings

Nov 28, 2015
    Billings, Montana
    Okay. Thanks. Unemployed at the moment. Only got Unemployment coming in. There are a few companies that are looking for Non-CDL drivers I may have to go that route till I can get some money to retest and rent a truck. You are guys are great thanks a bunch.

8. Bo Hunt

Bo Hunt Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2015
    If you got the CDL in 2011 you should still have it. It shouldn't have expired (I renewed mine this year and I'm good until 2021 for instance). You should be able to go and take a physical and recertify on your states website and be good to go. Unless you went to DMV and actually removed the cdl from your license, in which case you need to retest.

9. chris887

chris887 Medium Load Member

Nov 11, 2015
    chicago
    Why would you let your cdl go even if not using it? No you can not just go back and get it. You have to do ALL the testing again and pay all the fees again. Next time do not let it go, just keep the cdl and if you do not want to get physicals every 2 years self certify yourself ad intrastate exempt until you drive again.

Tonythetruckerdude Thanks this.
  10. DolphinsKings

Nov 28, 2015
    Billings, Montana
    Yeah I was stupid and removed my Class A in 2013 back to Class D. I drive any type of rig (refrigerated, reefer, flatbed, and straight). Thanks! I will re-test. I been looking for work and this may get get me back on the road again.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.