What do truckers wear?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Bronco209, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Bronco209

Bronco209 Bobtail Member

Thanks Received:
    This may be the dumbest question ever posed on this forum but I need to know. What do truckers wear? I start Watkins Shepard's school on Aug 27th. They gave me a list of items I need. The list only says "boots" and "clothing". I was in the military for four years and then law enforcement for nine years. I never had to decide what I was going to wear because it was provided for me. I assume by boots they mean work boots of some sort. As far as clothing goes, jeans and T-shirt? Dickie pants? Button up shirts? Heck, I'm not sure. I just don't wanna seem like a complete dork on my first day. Thanks.

2. TruckerJay

TruckerJay Bobtail Member

Thanks Received:
    Wear something that you don't mind getting dirty. I was told when I was training that I want to look presentable, but keep in mind im not going to eat at a 5 star resturant. You may even want to call them and see if they have a dress code, or what they recommend you wear.

I wore jeans and a t-shirt with steel toe boots.

If I can give you one bit of adice: spend the money on a nice pair of work boots. It will make all the difference in the world.

Best of luck to you!

3. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Jeans, T-shirts and comfortable tennis shoes. Steel toe boots and cowboy boots are not a requirement for driving a truck. But they will make your feet uncomfortable. The only need for steel toe might be a shipper/receiver requirement.

4. dancnoone

dancnoone <strong>"Village Idiot"</strong>

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm. I drive for W&S. I wear boats (not boots) and slacks...oh and a comfortable t-shirt. Occasionally, I wear khakis and gloves (when fueling).

5. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    I wear a company shirt and Khaki slacks, lighter grade slacks in summer and heavier weight ones in winter. For T shirts, I prefer to have light grey in color because they keep you much cooler than darker colors, same reason for khakis rather than jeans. They store pretty nicely, and if I am out or expect to get dirty, I'll change to a T-shirt before starting the work.

For shoes, I prefer slip on type tennis shoes, preferring the velcro type over laced up ones. Dr Scholls makes a decent long lasting pair at a reasonable price. I carry a good pair of steel toed work boots in the truck with me for when I need them. I prefer lighter colored shoes as well, again, they keep your feet much cooler. Uncle Sam taught me how hot dark color boots can be, and I learned that lesson well.

6. TopShelf

TopShelf Light Load Member

Thanks Received:
    My shoes have an oil resistant sole for fuel islands and such. Other than that it's just your company's policy.

7. leannamarie

leannamarie <strong>"California Girl"</strong>

Thanks Received:
    Remember, the one stupid question is the one that isn't asked. This forum is for asking all sorts of question. There is a wealth of information here.

8. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    And the two us are experts on stupid things!!!!

9. leannamarie

leannamarie <strong>"California Girl"</strong>

Thanks Received:
    Hey, I resemble that remark:biggrin_25523:

10. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, I gotta fess up. Actually, most working days I wear a see through Speedo and a pair of ruby slippers. And sometimes I accessorize a bit.....