What do truckers wear?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Bronco209, Aug 8, 2007.

1. tomhorn

tomhorn Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    All great suggestions, but i you run into cold weather, I'd always carry a good sturdy pair of Carhardt Overalls and a Carhardt coat. Other items to carry for cold weather are a good down vest, some flannel shirts, two layer gloves (the thin finger feel kind under good strdy work gloves) and some coretex socks. If you find yourself in places like Montana in the winter, you may also want to get some goretex inner pants and a goretex jacket liner. These are not only waterproof, but break the wind (just like eating at a T/A). last item is a good wool cap. You might also need to have an extra large cowboy hat so you can wear it over your wool cap.

Problem is if you're in Montana in Feb and come accross Burky Curtislyn or Vulcan with ablow out, you will have to change their tire, so they don't get frostbite. In fact if you see burky anytime broke down, you'll hafta help so he doesn't get arrested and you'd have to help Vulcan so passerbys don't get sick.:biggrin_25515:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. curtislyn

curtislyn Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Montgomery, AL

I do wear shorts in the winter, provided it is above 30 degrees :biggrin_2559:

4. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Ya, things tend to shrink when the temperature gets about 22 degrees.:biggrin_2551:

5. k7aab

k7aab <strong>Sticking my nose in all the wrong places</

Jul 28, 2007
    Kind of reminds me of the cops episode where the trucker calls 911 because his male lot lizard stole his wallet in his sleep. He steps out of the truck when the police arrive in a wig a tutu and high heels. I think it may be either C.R. or J.B. uniforms.

6. the punisher

the punisher Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2007
    crossville, tn
    I'm a flat bed guy...have to tarp loads. I wear dickies, t-shirt, sometimes a polo but nothing fancy. I'n the winter it's insulated bibs. I have to spend some time outside of the truck. When I'm on the road, summer months....it's surf shorts and flip-flops/sandles. Some compaines have uniforms, not mine.

What you should know is bring a light rain jacket that you can stuff in a bag, maybe some cold weather clothes. If you go into the summit in New Mexico in late August, it will be snow up there sometimes and warm at the bottom. You never know when your next load takes you to Michigan or something, where it is cold. You'll drive in and out of rain, snow, warm weather, wind...all in the same day maybe.

7. Too-Tall

Too-Tall Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Pittsburgh PA
    im either hardcore, or just plain wierd :biggrin_25523:

blue jeans, sleevless shirt, sleeveless vest that reads 'trucker' on the back, cowboy hat and sunglasses. (ie: my avatar) is how i normaly drive.

like i said im either hardcore, or just a weirdo.. in any case thats how i go :biggrin_2556:

8. cutloose

cutloose Light Load Member

Jul 9, 2007
    No panties

Scrumdog Thanks this.
  9. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008

Iam not so sure I could have kept a straight face...lol:biggrin_2556:

10. k7aab

k7aab <strong>Sticking my nose in all the wrong places</

Jul 28, 2007
    I vaguely remember the cop looking back at the camera with a smirk .. I am suprised they let that trucker go in his truck at the end .. he should have been committed.

11. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Okay, here is what you need to take for sure:

1. About 3 pairs of GOOD leather gloves.
    2. One pair of chemical gloves (for refueling, adding oil, whatever).
    3. A wrag for checking dipsticks.
    4. A raincoat.
    5. A good flashlight.
    6. A pair of rubber boots (for wading through pools or snow when you do drop and hooks/pretrip/chainups).
    7. One of those old lighter-fluid type handwarmers, just in case.
    8. Carbon monoxide detector (RV type).
    9. What else...hmmm.....a pair of sunglasses.
    10. A good cap such as a ball cap or a straw hat. Tin foil hats may work. Definitely a dunce cap if you've screwed up your life and have to settle for a crappy company.
    11. A green scouring pad for windshields (bugs, bugs, bugs).
    12. Steel-toed boots if you unload.
    13. Dawn dish soap for getting grease off your body and clothes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.