What do you get for your money

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Brdhntr, Apr 23, 2016.

1. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    The reliability of an older truck depends almost entirely upon the level of maintenance provided by the previous owner(s).

I buy all my cars used, as I hate the level of depreciation on new cars. Some lose almost half their purchase value as soon as they leave the lot! I've had great cars and real pigs. Every time, it came down to how well the previous owner kept the car.

Same deal goes with trucks. People, even O/O's, don't typically "go the extra mile" in maintaining their run of the mill former fleet truck Freightshaker. However, an old O/O who's looking to sell his final "retirement rig" may offer you a dream in heaven deal!

Always keep your eyes and ears open, and insist on an independent mechanical inspection on wveey truck you are seriously considering. A bit of financial pain up front could save you considerable financial devastation six months down the road.

Mudguppy and Brdhntr Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I haven't done any actual research, just opinion. I have owned a pete, a couple kw's, Volvo's and Internationals my truck now is a 99 Freightliner.
    Most of the components are the same. Frame strength is different. If your not doing heavy haul, not sure it makes a difference.
    All the older trucks, I think were built to last longer than todays models.
    If you don't beat your truck and with considerable grease and tlc you should get many miles and years out of any make.
    I feel Paccar products you pay extra for the name, not the product. Like designer jeans versus dickeys.
    If you don't pay extra premium upfront, you won't need it on the back end when you sell.
    Good luck.

Brdhntr Thanks this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Well the cab on my 36 year old W9 (that sat in a field for 10 years and spent half its working life off highway logging) is still in pretty decent shape. Apart from a small rust hole in the passenger side floor, UV damage to the fiberglass on the roof and some sagging in the rear cab brace, its still solid. So yeah I believe you do get what you pay for.

truckthatpassesyouby Thanks this.
  5. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Personally I think buying something that was OO spec for the get go and well maintained from the start will give a new OO a leg up vs buying the cheapest fleet spec fleet fleet driven truck they can find.

I won't say that buying a premium brand will automatically give you that leg up-everybody doesn't take great care of their ride.

However look hard and don't be in a rush: you can find a wellaintained truck that's built to last.

I drove a members freightliner Columbia couple months back so he could pickup his Pete from a shop a ways out.
    -Trucks may be trucks, but if I had bought a truck like that when I first started if probably have thrown in the towel first time I had an issue. Build quality and ride quality compared to my W9 offered a real life glimpse "you get what you pay for". Mine I wouldn't hesitate to go anywhere with @2.484 million miles. His had under 800k original and I wondered the whole 150 miles back if I'd be calling to get on the hook.

You buy what you want.

"Shiny trucks don't make more money" is what I've heard from the crowd that buys cheap trucks and runs them ragged..interesting point, but I've had many a customer compliment my ride and the care I give it, and even scored a couple customers that before I made a sales pitch commented "now THAT's the kind of equipment I want out product showing up on!"

What do I know: I'm just a truck driver..

Brdhntr and Mudguppy Thank this.
  6. Brdhntr

Brdhntr Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Minnesota
    What type of hauling do you do and what is your fuel milage?

7. Ruthless

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Local NYC/southern New England regional. Flatbed/stepdeck. 5-7 depending on weight and deadlines. I don't drive for economy.

Mudguppy and Straight Stacks Thank this.
  8. Straight Stacks

Straight Stacks Paper Cha$er

Jul 18, 2015
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    That Flatop is a Hammerlane Gang Member. LoL

Mudguppy Thanks this.
  9. Ruthless

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    You've seen me around then lol

Mudguppy Thanks this.
  10. Straight Stacks

Straight Stacks Paper Cha$er

Jul 18, 2015
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    My 379 was in the same gang. ;)

11. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    The 07 and earlier hoods are the priciest trucks on the used market nowadays .

No one wants the emissions crap.

Mudguppy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.