What do you think really happened?

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Bean Jr., Sep 28, 2016.

1. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Yeah I'll call it to. Everything is too in place etc

4. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Bad reporting. Trailers wont spin around and head off in reverse from being hauled down the road. The trailer once separated from the truck will lock up its wheels and come to a stop. They will go in the direction of which they were last pulled. I am sure the driver was grateful that he didnt kill any one. Yet a empty trailer doesnt break loose from a truck. Either the jaws broke or the driver had the trailer past the plate and did a bad job of pretripping to not notice where the pin was when he started off down the road.

[​IMG]

ladr Thanks this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I suspect it was a 5th wheel latch mechanism that stopped working properly and was just barely holding, then turned loose.

6. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Report said the driver was making a turn and then it disconnected. So must had made a wide turn and it drop there, obviously he wasnt speeding during a wide right turn so no skid marks

7. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    You can't believe reporters, they usually don't have a clue, probably doesn't know the front from the back.

If the trailer was to high when he backed under it it could come lose.
    Probably was in the oncoming lane completing his turn when it came lose, car driver was not paying attention and is lucky to be alive.

Landing gear is down, may have been done by rescue unit, they also cut off the roof to get driver out.

But we all know who is going to pay, and who is going to get fired.

TROOPER to TRUCKER Thanks this.
  8. Bean Jr.

Mar 30, 2014
    More than the landing gear down, no glad hands or pigtail in the plug. No skid marks where the trailer kept going. Landing gear does not look damaged, nor are there scrapes where the landing gear slid on the pavement.

Friday and Lepton1 Thank this.
  9. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    I had pulled away from a drop trailer without disconnectin my lines and it came out in one piece. Just smack the tractor and stretch out the lines.

There wouldn't be any skid marks at that low of a speed, assuming he was going slow during a turn. And for scrapes again...low speeds.

If he was making a wide turn, the trailer would of basically be still and be pivoting on the spread axles...could of just hop out of the 5th wheel staying still...

But honestly what kind of reason or explanation that would not make the truck driver be at fault? Beside 5th wheel malfunction?

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That trailer is undamaged. No skid landing gear damange, no pigtail, etc damage etc. There is no rubber behind the locked trailer brakes when airlines are pulled.

Being empty... er... maybe during a turn the lightly hooked 5th wheel quit holding on to it. Even then it should be instant stop. Those spreads don't like to turn. They will slide though. (Rain)

Something is not right here. Tractor was not making a effort to shove that trailer the eff off that opposing lane, (Ive done it...) I guess Im one of those strange people who consider a problem and solve it pronto... if I can see it coming.

Lepton1, lovesthedrive and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  11. Bean Jr.

Mar 30, 2014
    Did you read the article? It said, paraphrasing, "the trailer disconnected and travelled on its own into the oncoming lane" Now, no matter how slow you are travelling, locked wheels will skid and landing gears will leave a scrape. Don't believe me? Back under one slight off center, and move it over 3 inches. Unless you pick it up, it will scrape.

As far as glad hands, on angled glad hands, they will pull off, straight, like on a flatbed, the hose will rip.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.