What does this mean?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Gunner75, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    A local flatbed company found my resume on indeed.com and contacted me tonight to set up a time to have a phone interview tomorrow. After doing some searching on the interwebs on their safety ratings and such. They have 16 trucks, with a 20.2% oos rating on the trucks, and a 4.8% oos rating on the drivers, as of March 3, 2016 they had a compliance review, and as of May 2, 2016 they have a "conditional" safety rating.

What does "conditional" mean. Should i steer clear?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    They will most likely have their trucks pulled to go over scale between A to B, no prepass for them I bet.

If you could look at their trucks, that would be a good esitmate perhaps to how well they do the maintenance on them.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  4. Riprap

Riprap Light Load Member

May 31, 2014
    Saginaw, MI
    Conditional safety rating means a motor carrier does not have adequate safety management controls in place to ensure compliance with the safety fitness standard that could result in occurrences listed in § 385.5 (a) through (k).
    Basically it means their office and shop is sloppy, has no policy, or doesn't put a lot of effort into dot compliance.
    Or it could mean during the audit they were about to have an unsatisfactory rating but the auditor gave them a second chance if they keep their nose clean- example- a probation deal, if company gets one more oos in the next year, then they will get another audit with a heavy fine.

Gunner75 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  5. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Spoke with the owner this morning. His explanation was because when he first started up his insurance company wasn't a Trucking insurance company and they just allowed him to hire anyone, so he primarily hired new guys right out off school. I Feb of this year he had his first audit and csa hammered him because most of his guys at the time would just make out a log, or not files one out at all. So csa managed that they add elogs to his trucks at a rate of 2 a month and then reevaluate in 6 months. Now he has a Trucking insurance company that requires 2 yrs exp, and he has a guy who audits his logs weekly. Only has 15 trucks.

6. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    So the owner is blaming his " new drivers" for him and his company for not being in compliance? He has that backwards my friend. He is making excuses for his incompetence or inexperience.
    Either way, do you want to lose money while this guy learns how to run a trucking company?

tlalokay, free spirited1 and Grouch Thank this.
  7. SLCTrucker

SLCTrucker Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Salt Lake City UT
    I really don't believe that, first off I know of no insurance company that does not check out drivers before insuring them, that's just plain stupid on their part if they did.

8. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    What about the 20% OOS on the trucks. That's pretty high for 16 trucks.

9. SLCTrucker

SLCTrucker Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Salt Lake City UT
    Its saying that maintenance is pretty poor.........

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.