What is the avg starter dump truck salary?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by zoekatya, Dec 18, 2015.

1. zoekatya

zoekatya Medium Load Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    I have two years of 18 wheeler experience and am thinking of driving a normal dump truck so i can be home every night. What should I request as a starting wage reasonably?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. EverywhereMan

EverywhereMan Medium Load Member

May 28, 2013
    The North
    It would depend on your area relative to the cost of living. Three years ago I was driving for $20/hr and that still seems to be the norm for an hourly wage driving dumps around the GTA. But I've read all the way as low as $14/hr in areas in the US .

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I'd be happy making $15/hr in Wisconsin, however, be advised, except for a few instances, like asphalt, most dump truck jobs pay %, and it usually works out better for the owner than the driver.

5. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    $700-$900/week seems normal around me

Depends on location

Some dump companies can skirt by HOS regs and run the clothes off your back. Working like that for a few months might make you glad you get a 10 hour break.

Winter time will be slower for most dumps also. Something to ask about when considering companies. Some will entirely shut down for the season.

zoekatya Thanks this.
  6. Jokingypsy

Jokingypsy Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    14-18 bucks an hour in Baltimore. If crofton isn't too far check out Patuxent Materials (PMI). Reliable contracting and Payne trucking are always looking also.

zoekatya Thanks this.
  7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Another thing to consider, generally, the trucks don't go over any state scales, so their condition is usually less than kosher. And it's a boring job. If you are "stockpiling" you may go back and forth a dozen times over the same route. And overweight is the rule. When hauling that many loads, it's hard to get "personal" with a load, as you'll be getting rid of it in 20 minutes, and you'll lose time "getting it legal" and the boss pressuring you to "make one more load". It's not for everybody, for sure.

Caterpillar Cowboy and zoekatya Thank this.
  8. kev2809

kev2809 Light Load Member

Jul 2, 2015
    i believe it all depends on where u live and O/O vs working for someone else. theres a place near me i believe starting 14 per hour for day time..15 i think for over night. im sure thats bottom end because i see ads on craigslist hiring for 18-20 per hour all day long.

general rule of thumb for percentage pay is usually 35% maybe even 30% of what the truck makes.

i live in texas btw if that helps..

zoekatya Thanks this.
  9. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Absolutely will you lose time trying to get it legal, but in my neck of the woods, not a single quarry or coal mine will let the trucks out overweight.

201 Thanks this.
  10. realdesertkickin

realdesertkickin Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Tustoned Arizona
    Unanswerable question...So market dependant, and, even so, you can get 9 dollars an hour or 29 in dang near any area...In my town, avg is 12 to 14 an hour....The city and county here has the better dumptruck jobs...

I recommend not running a dump unless you can run the backhoe behind it...Go LTL!!!!

zoekatya Thanks this.
  11. Cheeseburgers

Cheeseburgers Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2015
    Danielson, Ct
    14 to 22 an hr up in ct. I just got one for 20 with no dump experience

zoekatya Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.