What is the best pre-emissions engine/truck combo?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by angry_trucker, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    iv been pretty happy with my fld 120. its got a low hp 60 series and a 9 speed. but it still does fine. and i run over 80k most of the time. fuel millage is good and the truck is durable. i put it threw the ringer all the time and she keeps right on going. when i upgrade i think ill be looking for another fld probably in a classic with set forward axle, mid roof (have to be less than 12') with a longer sleeper would consider another flat top but would have to be longer than my current 42". with a bigger hp 60 series. and a 18 speed. would consider a n-14 as well. for what i do the extra tq of a n-14 would be very usable but would lean more towards another 60 series as i get at least a full mpg better than most everyone i run with some of them i get closer to 2mpg better. most the guys i run with run cat motors.

mine does have the same door issues as mentioned by another poster but the dash is tight and nothing rattles in my truck with over 1million miles on it. does have issues with opening and closing the doors and doors sealing and some wind noise though.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Edmund

Edmund Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2011
    Atlanta Georgia
    Big cam NTC formula 444 cummins.... cummins stopped making them for a reason....they weren't makin money on them repair wise.....those engines run forever......they made them too good

pusherman Thanks this.
  4. T800H

T800H Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2010
    The Keys
    444 cummins? as much as I like the old mechanical injection Cummins, i wouldn't go around including the 444 in the list of the best engines, I know when they work they would pull hard but they had way to many issues to be included here.

5. blackcrowntrans

blackcrowntrans Light Load Member

May 19, 2014
    Like the crappy cooling system.

6. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    I have interest of making mbn into a 6nz once I put into long haul. My dad uses the truck for dry bulk frac sand and he didn't like the way he have been away from home for more than 2 weeks all the time. He wants to buy the dry van and start team driving with me. So I need to work on it this summer in order to make a 6-7 mpg truck. Wanna put 6nz file (first), then 6nz 500 hp camshaft, fleet air filter, bully dog manifold, free flow muffler, and 6 in stack.

7. Edmund

Edmund Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2011
    Atlanta Georgia
    Hey all the old timers told me the 444 was the best engine ever made....

8. JohnP3

JohnP3 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Rock Creek B.C. Canada
    If someone told you the 444 was a great engine it was because they were trying to sell it to you. They are not fuel eficient, they have a terible fuel system that I as a mechanic made a fortune fixing.
    As a mechanic the best engine is a S60 or an N14. I live in BC we kill engines, we have mountains.
    One other point if you use a washable filter it passes thru dust, it will kill your engine. Ask them for a guarentee the will cover all repairs?
    Just a thought

9. blackcrowntrans

May 19, 2014
    I had 444 i changed the cooling system to one t-stat and an older radiator. And an n14 intake with a CAC and finally liked it

10. Edmund

Edmund Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2011
    Atlanta Georgia
    ^^^^^ You see there not that bad if you mod them...lol

11. blackcrowntrans

May 19, 2014
    Yea it was strong, I also painted it black and used the head covers off a red top.confused the hell outa some guys hahaha

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.