What is the best radio on the market today?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by KC9RDO, Feb 12, 2015.

1. stacks

stacks Road Train Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Emerald Isle
    Nice I seen a guy pulling for prime at the Flying j in great falls montana had a similar mount not just as high but fabricated it himself

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    I would fab one myself but dont have the place or materials to work on it..My garage is full of motorcycles..A local machine shop could do it but it would cost me more to have them fab one or two than to ship a pair to canada..

4. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    [QUOTNeverready, post: 4564331, member: 149023"]How are you resealing coil? It appears to be something along the lines of a Wilson coil. I've never looked real close to see how they come apart. I do like the height you have been able to achieve.[/QUOTE]
    Heat shrink tubing.

Neverready Thanks this.
  5. M818

M818 Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    best radio ever.
    maulhammer.jpg

6. Jeff Gregory

Jeff Gregory Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    New to the industry so maybe a dumb question, but at what point does a radio become a BIG Radio? Why would you need so much range? Do other people get tired of you drowning them out when you key the mic?

7. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Its just for more range(more to it than just adding power)and bragging rights..A so called legal radio puts out 4 watts which is about 3-5 mi if your set up is pretty good...Same idea of a louder stereo..

8. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    On the flatlands of Nebraska, a stock legal 4 watt radio will reach my receiver 30 miles away assuming it hasn't been tampered with. Once the average "technician" touches it, count on a max distance of 8 miles to my receiver or 3 miles to an average receiver.

9. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    From what i understand,if the stars are aligned and no space junk falling,grass is green..You can reach other countrys on 4 watts..Hell my stryker with 75 watts will not go more than 5 miles at time yet i can briefly chat to the southern us states from eastern canada..

10. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    that's pretty sad that you can't get 75 watts to talk 6 miles sounds like a very inefficient antenna system to me unless someone has tampered with the radio internally. with a 4 watt handheld and a decent antenna system 10 miles should be a minimum. I hooked the Radio Shack handheld to a Shakespeare big stick antenna in the parking lot of the Griffith Observatory and I talked to Long Beach California with a 4 watt handheld. anybody with a noise floor in their receiver of 1/1000th of a microvolt, knows what I'm talking about when it comes to hearing things that no one else hears.
    chances are pretty good if you turn the RF gain all the way to the left and the squelch all the way to the right if you hear static it's time to find a new radio technician that knows how to remove the noise from your receive and improve your signal to noise ratio. doing that alone for two different radios would easily double the distance if not quadruple the distance those two radios can communicate to each other without even altering the output power of either radio. how far you talk depends on how good my receive is and my receive is 10 times better than anyone elses receive so I will be able to hear you further than anyone else will be able to hear you.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    Reason for edit: clarification
  11. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Well that depends on what the other guy has,white noise of the area n such..Yes my set up aint the greatest cause my predator 10k is on the back wall ofthe cab of my rig..Tons of reflection..My swr is between 1.0 -1.3 between 1-40..r # depending on freq is 39-52 and it resonate best around 27.### area....Its not my antenna set up its just where it is at the moment.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.