What on earth is wrong with swift drivers?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by drvrtech77, Nov 19, 2015.

1. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    I've had Walmart tell me how swift are a bunch of idiots and have a copper mine in Arizona namely the shipping mgr tell swift to never return because if their sheer idiocy that they pulled... That's just a few I can name..both are major shipper/receivers

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I've heard negative comments about Swift from shippers and receivers, as well as negative comments about other carriers.
    One person said... "Wow! Swift drivers are almost never on time" - when I got there 20 minutes before my appointment time.
    It happens from time to time.

Personally I fault the mentors and the Swift way of training on the road more than the (new) drivers.
    The mentors don't take the time to properly instruct in things like trip planning, which may be the result of being expected to run as a full team operation after the first week or so.

The customer who made the comment was in an area that is slow to get to, and out of, and too many new drivers don't make the necessary effort (or have the knowledge) to determine how long the trip might actually take.

More one on one time with the mentor might help.
    Perhaps better mentors in general, or a training system that didn't rely so much in a team operation to pay the mentors what they are really worth to the company.

Recently a driver t-called a load in Denver, which was turned over to me.
    But when he got to the terminal he simply parked in the back and went to sleep, without bringing in the BOL or even unhooking from the trailer. I had to go find him, wake him up and get him to finish the job.
    That cost me over an hour of time with that load.
    That is lack of proper training, but it won't show up in the test out process.

I could have used that time to do more important things.
    Like watch a couple more episodes or get a bit more sleep, or... even get a few more miles for the week.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  4. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    Truthfully in my over 20 years, more than once. In my 5 years with Swift, more than once have I heard comments, about us and many others and this is from some of our Customers that we mostly run dedicated out of when we check in and find out that we do not have all of the information that we are supposed to have and been told, normal, CSR forgot to give it all to you. Like you once told me, I just wish that I was half as good as you think that you are. And you are going to tell me that in all of your years with Swift you have not once pulled into one of our customers and found out that you did not and have been told, sounds normal, or you have showed up for a supposed delivery and been told, OOPS,

5. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    found the driver!

[​IMG]

6. Luse

Luse Medium Load Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Middle of nowhere Montana
    why you leave the doors open going down the road simple. The air goes in the trailer hits the front of the inside of trailer and makes the truck go faster.......

7. MM3Deg

MM3Deg Medium Load Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    It funny...

Every body likes to talk about how every other company is a much better place....

In just about every forum at this site.

In my years reading these forums trying to figure out how and when I would make a go of it,

I was convinced the first year maybe two were going to be a disaster no matter what choice I made.

8. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    If only that could be true.
    But it defies at least one law of physics.

SHOJim Thanks this.
  9. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    Yup, I've done that too (left the barn doors open). But I did it on purpose.
    The next receiver was literally across the street with a pull through lot.
    As for talking with receivers, its fun to have them bash your own company and then look sheepish, when you reveal who you work for. Especially when your company logo is right out in front for them to ignore.
    The best we can do is our best to establish and maintain a good working relationship with our customers.

10. Meepo77,

Meepo77, Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2015
    I wouldn't worry about anything negative a shipper ever says about Swift considering how often they take their sweet time getting you loaded/unloaded.

My last 2 loads I waited hours each. First was a live unload at a Georgia pacific. I was early, yet waited 5 hours to get a door.

Next I headed to a pet food company. Again, I was early. There were about 10 trucks waiting when I got there. More showed up after me. I waited 10 hours for a door.

SHOJim Thanks this.
  11. time2drive

time2drive Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Miles City Montana
    You couch truckers are a disgrace to the industry. Nobody knows why his trailer doors are open, so stop being a idiot and stop assuming.

A21CAV Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.