What qualifies as a 'preventable' on your DAC?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by bmovers, Jul 27, 2016.

1. bmovers

bmovers Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2014
    Phoenixville, PA
    Hi all,
    I am a company driver with nearly 2 years otr experience.

I just recently learned that I have 2 preventables on my DAC. I was under the impression that because they were extremely minor they wouldn't be on my DAC, but I was wrong.

Here's what they are and maybe you all can give your opinion as to weather they deserve to be on my dac or not.

#1:
    Fall of 2014. I had just finished training and had only been in my own truck for 1-2 weeks. I needed to make a left turn from 1 narrow road to another. I could see lots of truck tire tracks in the dirt just off the right side of the road, and I could tell that trucks make the turn by taking it very wide and going off the road a little. So i followed the tracks to safely make my turn without hitting the pole to my left. What I did not take into account is that it had been pouring rain for 2 days straight and the dirt tire tracks I was following were very muddy. I got stuck and had to call a wrecker. I was so new and my training was so poor that I did not know to lock the differentials to try to get out.
    The bill was $200.

#2:
    August 2015. Pulling out of a very tight dock area with a sleeper truck on either side of me. I first went slightly left as I was pulling forward to make sure that I could make the tight right turn. My trailer grazed the tractor to my left and I mean it just barely touched it. Only damage was scraped paint. Total damage was $100 or less.
    A fellow company driver of mine joked that I should have just slipped the other driver $100 so that he could get it fixed himself and keep the change, so it wouldn't have to be reported.

These seem too minor to be considered preventables or am I wrong? I will be looking for a better company and/or local job soon and I think having 2 preventables makes it very difficult.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Dac is reported by your employer.

Minor or not, it's still an accident. You can dispute it and get it removed. I don't see how these incidents would prevent u to get a local job

4. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    They are preventable because they could have been prevented. An example of non preventable is is being parked in legal spot at ts on break and someone hits you, hitting a deer, things like that.

Doesnt matter if we think they should be on your dac what matters is if your company thinks they should.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    They are preventable. Not knowing is not a excuse. You learn by doing.

You show promise by reading tracks of people before you... most people don't

Touch anything while moving it is preventable against you IF IT IS NOT MOVING..... remember that.

CrappieJunkie Thanks this.
  6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Your #1 If I'm reviewing your record for employment, I would smile, and chuckle. Don't even worry about that.
    Your #2 The other driver was right, You should have given the guy a hundo or two, and it all would have been good.

Here's my #3) When you talk to a potential employer about these incidents, be honest, as you have been in your post, but don't whine. They are going to go what happened on #2? Your response should be I F/U. Own it. I would hire you for owning your mistake. 99% of people will.

Here's my #4) Your leaving some cheese eating mega soon. Congrats.

Own everything you do, people will respect you.

x1Heavy and bmovers Thank this.
  7. mpow66m

mpow66m Heavy Load Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Northeast
    most god local companies dont even use DAC,they were non dot reportable so they arent really a big deal based on what youve said.

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Wow. Just wow. Getting stuck is a preventable? What a joke. #### happens.

mpow66m Thanks this.
  9. LindaPV

LindaPV Medium Load Member

Your saving grace is the dollar amount. It's very low on property damage. They may take that into account.

10. bmovers

bmovers Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2014
    Phoenixville, PA
    The low $ amount and any other details isnt on the dac. The only details are "left turn" "right turn"
    I just explain how minor they were to potential employers and they'll believe me? I didnt think it was that simple.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  11. crappedouttrucker

crappedouttrucker Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2016
    there both preventable. so it is your fault. so it looks like your off to a bad start as a driver. it will most likely be a few more years before you can change jobs.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.