What should I do?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Eethomas685, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Eethomas685

Eethomas685 Light Load Member

Jul 11, 2016
    NY
    So I am leaving for company sponsored training in a couple weeks and just found out that my wife is pregnant with our third. I'm very concerned about her being alone to adjust to life with a newborn and small children she already has and I'm wondering if I should

1. Not finish the contract with the company I'm training with

2. Ask about a leave of absence or are what my options might be

And is this something I should ask my recruiter about upfront (what leave options I will have) or do I wait until it's closer to the actual event? I want to have a plan in place for peace of mind for both myself and family.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lucy in the Sky

Lucy in the Sky Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Congrats on the baby amigo! Got a 6 month old and a 6 year old myself. I went to orientation knowing she had one in the oven though.

My advise would be to continue with training. Unless you have a large pile of cash in the bank you will need those checks. If nothing else save and put some in the bank. No need to tell you but baby items are expensive!

Ask the recruiter about extended leaves. How long they allow, does truck need to be turned in, Yada Yada Yada. Call again and speak to a different recruiter and see if the answers match up.

If you decide to start trucking I would take your time off after that little guy or girl is born. That's what I did and it was perfect. Got to see my son's first few weeks of life and help my lovely lady recover. We had a voluntary induction scheduled so I could make maximum use of the precious home time and witness the birth. (Hospitals sometimes allow voluntary inductions if you had an induction previously with no complications)

What company are you going with? Some on here may be able to tell you real life experiences with leave time from the company

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Finish training and get that CDL. Get all the endorsements while in school.
    Concentrate on school and acquiring that cdl; that's your future to take care of your family.
    There's some good paying jobs in trucking if you plan well.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    RedRover Thanks this.
  5. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Condoms.
    That's how I've fixed this problem all these years.
    Hella cheaper.

Check on your option #2.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That cdl is a guarantee of never being unemployed as long as you take good care of it. That's good insurance for a man with a wife and 3 children.

MidWest_MacDaddy Thanks this.
  7. Eethomas685

Jul 11, 2016
    NY
    The training portion will be done before the baby is born but I am obligated to work for the company for a year to pay back the tuition. I'm going with Celadon. Do I ask them up front about a leave of absence?

8. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Stay away from company sponsored training so you will have better choices when you get ready to head out.

Congrats and I hope all goes well!

MidWest_MacDaddy Thanks this.
  9. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    LOL, I was on the road when my youngest was born. I was happy, for the life of me I can't figure out why they let men in the delivery room. But to answer your question I would ask as soon as possible.

10. Eethomas685

Jul 11, 2016
    NY
    I sent my recruiter an email today so I'm waiting for a reply. Is a leave if absence something a company is typically able to grant? I don't mind fulfilling the contract but I'd like some way to come home to be with her if possible. Hopefully they don't look down on me for asking this before I even start.

11. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Well after 3 times, I believe you need too be out on the road so the wife doesn't make number 4.lol
    Any way Congrats on the upcoming birth

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.