What should I expect in my first 2 years as an OTR driver?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Rubberduck10-4, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Rubberduck10-4

Rubberduck10-4 Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2016
    I'm going to begin classes pretty soon and I'm trying to find out as much as I can. :D

• Here's some info: For the most part, I'm going to look for companies that have drop yards near me, so that I can spend my time off with my family.
    • I'm 22 and don't have any wife/kids (just my parents and siblings)
    What should I expect in terms of pay and treatment as a new driver? What about trainers?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Well, there's only about 10 thousand threads on this forum that go into detail regarding your questions. ;-)

Start reading.

Rubberduck10-4 Thanks this.
  4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    If you went into a truckstop restaurant and sat at the llunch counter, you would hear 2 kinds of stories about trucking...war stories and horror stories.

Which one is it that you want to hear?

CrappieJunkie Thanks this.
  5. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    Guarantee you'll be more frustrated than you've ever been in your life, you'll be disgusted by most "truck drivers", people will treat you like garbage-especially while they share the road with you in their cars, you'll get sick from truck stop food at least once, you'll be stuck for indefinite periods of time anywhere but where you want to be, when your truck breaks down and you call the shop they will send someone from 3 states away to come help you and after 8 hours you wonder why they're not there yet, there will be a big spunk stain on the back wall of the sleeper, a homeless guy will scream and berate you because he lost his last tooth or the man is holding him down, and another sort of looking homeless guy will try to sell you some miracle aluminum polish in a water bottle

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Learning and discovering EVERYTHING school should have taught you.

You WILL scare yourself enough to quit. Don't. Shake it off.

Your first big wreck with screaming people, dead bodies etc will hurt you. Work through your ABC (Air way breathing and circulating.) EMT might take a while to get there.

Finally....

ENJOY these United States. ALL 48 states offer something for you. Food, Museums etc. Always something worth doing. Maybe some activity that has nothing to do with trucking for a good downtime. Have at it.

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  7. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    As a newbe you can expect louzy pay.

BostonTanker Thanks this.
  8. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    My advice I like to give is start off at a food service company. Most are home everyday or do regional where your home 4-5 nights a week. Plus it builds character humping that food and the pay is about 1/3rd more than otr, sometimes even higher. The training you get going food delivery is 2nd to none, no mega can match the training you get doing LTL type stuff

christian cothran and rachi Thank this.
  9. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Good advice!

10. sherlock510

sherlock510 Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Intercontinental.
    Say no to lot lizards.

Moosetek13 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.