What type of trailer.

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Bpat, May 19, 2016.

1. Bpat

Bpat Bobtail Member

May 8, 2015
    We have our own authority and are looking to switch from dry van to either a flatbed or step deck. We do almost all brokered loads. I'm looking for info on which trailer( flat or step) would be the most versatile and profitable for us to purchase.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TheDude1969

TheDude1969 Heavy Load Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    Bpat Thanks this.
  4. Hyweighman

Hyweighman Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Pensacola, FL
    If you go with a stepdeck, get the ramps for it. They double as lever'ers.. if you get a flatbed make sure you have a shorty wench by rear wheel. Also need shorty wench at drives. That way 1/4 fenders don't get hit and tires don't get gouged.

Bpat Thanks this.
  5. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    The step will offer the most versatility. No one can argue that fact. How ever,.. you have to weigh the pros and cons of Flat vs Step.

The Step is going to weight more. Its also going to cost more. Much more in some cases, depending on how you spec it. Depending on what tractor you plan to put a step with,.. chances are you wont be able to legally scale much more than 45k - 46k with it.

That said,.. there is almost nothing (When set up properly) that a step can not haul that would normally go on a regular flat. And there is so much more that can go on a step that due to height restrictions,.. a regular flat can not haul. Machinery and equipment being among my favorites.

I have a 53' Fontaine Infinity. Its listed with a tare weight of 11,400 lbs. It has an 18" king pin set back when combined with the 250" wheel base of my tractor,.. I can do 2 - 3ft front over hangs easily. The trailer itself is pretty basic. It has a 41.5ft kingpin to center axle spacing when the axles are spread. In that configuration its not Cali legal,.. Ct and Fl also have issue with it. How ever,.. I've taken it into Cali many times and have never been hassled. Live in Fla,.. and ironically,.. they pulled out the tape measure and fined me $75. For $20 you can get an annual permit. Or,.. just close the axles before the state line,. as Fl allows 40k or 44k on tandems.

I added the HD Ramps kit so I can load equipment myself. Depending on what trailer you get,.. if you get a ramp kit, I strongly encourage some reinforcement on the rear deck plate.

Brokered loads are brokered loads,.. but we all have our favorite things we go after. Mine is heavy equipment and machinery. I have a lot of experience with heavy equipment,.. so I am very comfortable loading my own machines. This may or may not be something you are comfortable with. If you do decide to go with a step and go after equipment loads (They are very profitable when you can snatch them up before someone else can), I do not recommend trusting anyone else to load your trailer,.. particularly if you get a hybrid trailer with an aluminum deck. Not only that,.. but liability issue can come into play if they send the machine off the side of the deck.

I am leased to a carrier.. and 99% of what I run is brokered loads off the boards. So if you are familiar with how the boards work,.. then imagine giving up 20% to my carrier. So a $2 mi load,.. is actually only $1.80 for me. Yet I am still thriving out here. $1.80 is my limit though. Carrier have provided some local direct freight when they pay good,.. other than that its all brokered freight. I'll put anything on my deck if its paying enough to profit.

The others will probably be bored of seeing these pics posted over and over,.. I dont think you have seen them,.. so I'll post what I do to give you an idea of the versatility of the step.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Continued,..................

6. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All of these were brokered loads off the boards.

Most of them paid pretty good,.. all things considered.

Hurst

20 Mule Team and Audiomaker Thank this.
  7. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    20% of $2.00 is $0.40.....making it $1.60. JS.

I dont haul much brokered freight. That being said steps are more versatile, but so far as I've seen in my region there's not a ton of step specific loads on boards. Plenty of FB loads could go on a step, true. But if there isn't a premium on the freight using a more specialized trailer (which you pay a premium for) for a real large percentage of what you end up hauling, I don't see the benefit. Ie mostly palletized commodities wouldn't be worth the extra investment of a step vs a flat. Mostly tall machines/ over height-overwidth definitely better off having a step if you're getting the right money for having a more specialized piece of equipment.

FB load board posts are all over. If you know how to work a rate you'll likely make out well either way you go. Versatility is key.

Flatbed freight is abundant, but everybody and their uncle has a flat. Rates can certainly reflect that.

8. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    LOL

Yeah your right,.. some how I had 20% = $0.20 cents stuck in my head. This is why I dont do my own taxes or anything financially significant with out consulting someone who is much more on the ball with numbers than I am.

Hurst

9. Bpat

Bpat Bobtail Member

May 8, 2015
    Hurst/Ruthless thank you for the information....just starting the research on this switch. We know we are leaving money on the table pulling a dry van. Plus I feel we would have a little bit better luck with the shippers and receivers of the flat/step loads.

10. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    "Better luck" in terms of what?

11. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    To be perfectly honest,.. if you plan to run loads off the boards,. Flat/SD loads are not paying that well right now. Unless you have the patience to watch that screen and be the first to call when a good load pops up, it can be difficult to maintain profitable margins. Depending on the loads passed over by others will tighten your purse strings for certain.

Unless you have direct customers or are in an area where you can make that a possibility,.. it can be a costly move to transition into right now.

Hurst

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.