What was your cdl drive test like?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by willeo6709, May 5, 2016.

1. willeo6709

willeo6709 Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2015
    I am in Iowa, middle aged, have driven anything with wheels since I was too young to mention. I have driven "below cdl straight trucks", pickup with both bumper hitch and gooseneck trailers, had air brakes on one of the straight trucks. I occasionally haul stuff in my business and want to get my class A. There is a "1 day cdl" shop a few hours away. I am tempted other than the fact its been nearly 10 years since I spent any time on a manual transmission, and then it was a 1968 Roadrunner, not a cmv. I have a machine shop, I don't drive for a living, I put on about 100-200 miles a week delivering my own product. I did get a CLP.
    How big a step is it going from straight trucks to combination cmv? I know some people with semi's but not really well enough to borrow several times for the test. The biggest thing about the 1 day cdl place is they supply a truck that passes pretrip. There is a more local community college but they want 5 weeks full time on days and thats just not going to work.
    What was your drive test like? Should I beg and borrow a combination truck to practice with first?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flatbeb mac

flatbeb mac Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2015
    I've seen it done before. A guy down the street from me stopped one day and asked me the same question and asked if he could drive my truck for practice. (uh, NO) He went in and did an 8 hour class and passed his test. Of course he failed twice and ended up finding a farmer to let him practice in their equipment on their property.

IMO, if you cannot get a couple hours behind the wheel on the the road and doing some backing, then there is a good chance you may not be able to pass it without several tries if at all. On the other hand I've seen guys take a 3 week course and still couldn't pass the test even on the 4th try. Seen another one do a 3 week course fail the test 4 times and decided to go to celadon for CDL training. Yeah that was an expensive CDL.

In the end, as long as you can smoothly shift up/down, properly turn (no curbs, correct lane), back it up and know the pre-trip your good to go. As for me I know I would have failed several times without the time behind the wheel in a 3 week course, and I had experience in farm trucks, not a lot but enough but enough to drive a truck. It was just all the little things that you get dinged for on the test that would have got me. I passed with a score of 0 points on backing, 11 points pre-trip and 8 points driving. If I remember right the fail points were 12 points backing, 24 points pre-trip, 30 points driving.

To me a one day course would only be good if you have really prior experience and just need a refresher.

4. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Paralell parking would be pretty hard without training.
    Most anyone can drive straight down the road after a few youtube videos.

5. Heathcliff

Heathcliff Bobtail Member

May 6, 2016
    I took my test in Indiana. You had to go through your pre-check which covered about 100 things from front to back of the tractor to the trailer. Then you had to do a up and back followed by a up and back to a space next to you and then you had to parallel park. We practiced for over a week on those 3 things alone. We drove in groups of 5 in and around the interstate and highways.

Not sure what the test consists of in Iowa, but 1 day would not have even come close for me. I spent a great deal of time above the transmission before I tried it. I considered myself a good driver. I had driven many straight trucks in the past but it took me a while to get the hang of it on the practice range.

If you haven't driven a manual in a while that may be a plus. Trying to figure out how to double clutch if harder if you are used to just pushing it in once. So I have been told.

6. MidWester

MidWester Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Hey! I'm from Iowa too and I think I know what place your talking about. The 1 day cdl places will get you your cdl, but then again your going to have to pass a road test with a company to get a job. It's tough to find a place to let your borrow a truck to practice because they all just think your going to ruin it. I went through the same thing until I got on with a beer company who helped me get my license.

7. willeo6709

willeo6709 Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2015
    The thing is I HAVE a job. I am not looking to be a full time driver, owner operator, or anything else. Basically it will cost less to get the cdl than pay the fine will cost. I know at some point I will be stopped ( last time I got lucky to be able to finish the trip) and its just easier to get the license. I just want to haul my own stuff to customers and the f350 with 8' flatbed does not cut it sometimes.

8. MidWester

MidWester Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2015
    If that's the case I think you'll be fine with a one day CDL. Iowa will have you pre trip, skills test ( I believe it's 3 backing drills ) and then a road test.

9. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    I took my test in california about four years ago. It was december 2012. We began with a pretrip. I was nervous as hell. The examiner looked very annoyed. I started messing with the crank handle on the landing gear; it was hollow, and it was full of compacted dirt and rain water. I started my spiel, noting what great condition the crank handle was in, I spun it around only to have all that crap inside of the handle fly onto the examiner's shirt.

I passed the test and built a career.

flatbeb mac Thanks this.
  10. Oddball

Oddball Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2010
    I agree the one-day course sounds like, at the very least, a good first step. It will certainly show you where you stand, if nothing else. Best case scenario is that you pass that, and get your CDL. Worst case, you realize you're not ready, but know what you need to work on. So you work on the weak things, then retake the course and hopefully pass. It might be interesting to ask - if you don't pass the first time - if they have any sort of provision for students who come up short (there have to be more than a few) to practice backing or whatever with the class's big rig - then retake the course when they think they're ready.

11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Test is easy. As long as the examiner feels comfortable being in the truck with you behind the wheel, you're pretty much going to pass. Biggest thing is just relax. I was stressed out over my test and I blew the first downshift coming to the first intersection. Managed to redeem myself and pass on first attempt.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.