What was your pay your first year? (Bonus: robots)

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TurtlesLikeI, Feb 11, 2016.

1. TurtlesLikeI

TurtlesLikeI Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Nevada
    I know a lot of truckers understand it's a lifestyle plus occupation type thing, but even if I do want to see the country and pancake little cars that get in my way, I want decent compensation. I can easily get a 20k/year job where I live, so I'd rather not leave everything behind for the same thing.

Robot bonus: As a 30-year-old, will I be replaced by Overlord Google before I can get a good 20-30 years from this career?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Longarm

Longarm Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2011
    If you can't, you're doing something very wrong.

Maybe.

4. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    my first year, I started in late June so I only really worked about 5 months. 26k.

TurtlesLikeI Thanks this.
  5. americanmadetrucker

americanmadetrucker Logistical Engineer

Jul 3, 2012
    images.jpg I am a Robot. Google built me. Humans no longer drive. It is only we robots. Human truck drivers are no longer needed. You're too late. Sorry.

Cottonmouth85, dngrous_dime and SHOJim Thank this.
  6. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    No. Artificial Intelligence is a man made fantasy that's just like vampires. There isn't anybody in the world alive today that can create a true AI robot. Even those machines that play chess; those are just programs.
    See, my thinking is, one day corporations will get tired of not having real A.I. because scientists got stuck trying to recreate the brain. So, what will happen is that corporations and government will suggest more artificial tools in the work place for humans to take care of the machines which is basically going to force humans and robots to live and work together. Ultimately creating a more controlled planet. Either way, we are going to be phased out by our compananies and government.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2016
    Reason for edit: Leave the political comments out unless you are posting in politics!
  7. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    If I average my pay per month from May through December '12 with Swift I made $38K. That was starting at $0.25 per mile, averaging 2500 miles per week. Pay raises along the way. Now they have a much higher starting pay. If you can't do at least $40K you are slacking.

Grijon, FerrissWheel and FLYMIKEXL Thank this.
  8. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Not robot has pallet jack skills superior to mine. I'm safe for a while.

9. TurtlesLikeI

TurtlesLikeI Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Nevada
    To clarify my robots are in the form of self-driving trucks, which I've heard are on the way but personally I see it as a difficult task because of all od the variables of road conditions and pathing with such a big vehicle.

10. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    My point is that no robot will replace an LTL freight P&D driver. They may one day replace OTR drivers, though. At least for the on-highway part. However, a driver will always be needed to monitor the equipment and drop/hook trailers, etc. But all that is decades away.

11. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    It is so easy a caveman can do it!

12. ajohnson

ajohnson Medium Load Member

Jan 6, 2016
    chicago area
    Try the search function, this question is asked constantly

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.