what would you do

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Calical1888, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Calical1888

Calical1888 Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2015
    ok so I've been applying to trucking companies all day and have gotten a few calls back. Now there's a job out near me that's local but the guy wants me to get my shifting down,said he doesn't care how long as long as I've got it. Since I have my Cdl I'm considering just taking a refresher class with a trucking school and paying maybe 200$ for a few days of extra training and taking that job because it's the one I want (on my previous posts I told about how I was with cr England and they put me in an auto for my whole month or so of training) but do you guys think that's a smart thing to do?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi Calical, don't spend another dime, shifting is not that big a deal. It's just a 5 speed that gets cut in half ( 10 speed) or thirds ( 13, 15, speed), but they are all a 5 speed.( mostly) If you are that worried, rent a Penske truck for an hour, and bobtail around and experiment. ( I wonder if you could do that?) Tell them you have to move a trailer. Seems a little odd, the person would say that as a pre-employment deal, but I suppose, transmissions aren't cheap. Or, just go with a company with an automatic. I hear, when fleets get new trucks now, most are automatic. It opens up their employment field considerably. Good luck.

4. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    I would start by not making any more threads related to the same subject

5. Calical1888

Nov 6, 2015
    If you dislike it so much you don't have to read it lol

6. Calical1888

Nov 6, 2015
    Well I do eventually wanna be local and I know the smaller companies don't usually have autos that's why. I'd love to drive auto forever but I'd also like to be home sometimes

7. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    If you can't make your own decision after 10 threads give up. Go back to school and learn. Eventually they're going to start getting deleted.

8. Calical1888

Nov 6, 2015
    Then they'll get delete. If I have the floor to ask for advice and get different perspectives I'm gonna do it. I don't see what the problem is . But you telling me to give up isn't really necessary.

9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Yeah, trucking is a give and take deal. You rarely get exactly what you want, not for a while, at least. If you are just starting out, which it sounds like you are, you are pretty much at the mercy of whoever is going to give you a shot. Usually takes a year in this business, (6 months minimum) until you sort out what's around your area, and if you even like it at all.

10. Calical1888

Nov 6, 2015
    Yea Imy biggest mistake so far was going with cr England but I'm trying to get fresh so hopefully someone will give me a chance

11. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    A member named Chinatown here has some great advice. He responded to your other post, and he would know all about which companies to try. Don't get bummed with other posters. That's what this place is for, questions. Man, I'd have loved a site like this years ago.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.