whats the deal with those "ice road truckers" up in Alaska or wherever that is....

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by somebody, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    She's a goof, I heard the comment about how good she is and skilled she is but I don't see it. Meeting a few women drivers in my time, a couple would even put a lot of men to shame with their skills, so I would think that Lisa would be more of a beginner compared to them non the haul road.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ClassB

ClassB Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Syracuse, New York
    I purely watch for trucks, nothing more. I do like the scenery footage, too.

4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    When she first came on, it was obvious, overwhelmingly obvious, that they got her on there just for the ratings. We all knew it. She knew it. She IS goofy. The other thing that's obvious is that she didn't like how she was being portrayed. So, she stuck with Carlile. Even when the show wasn't going, she stuck with Carlile and worked off camera to better her skill. Did she get better? On YOUTUBE, Lisa posted her own videos of driving in Alaska during the time that she wasn't on TV. when she first started, she wasn't very good. But I'd have to say now, that she is worlds better now than what she was. She hung in there. She wanted to be better and she worked at it.

I have to respect that.

is she one of the worlds best drivers? No. She didn't set out to be. But she is now a competent driver. She could have taken the easy route and just do the TV thing, wear tight shorts, talk about her tits, act slutty...etc. but she decided to take a few years off TV to work at her driving. From what I've seen on her camcorder videos in her truck, she did get better.

the main thing I watched for were how Carlile set their heavyhaul trucks up. I bought and copied my own truck off of theirs. Big rugged, no nonsense heavy duty kenworths that see rough terrain and heavy loads. In the 2nd season, Mullens was heading up the show. I've met quite a few Mullens drivers, done quite a few of their loads, and I like how the Canadian heavy haulers set their trucks up. That kind of stuff I like.

5. ladywrongway03

ladywrongway03 Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2008
    trotwood oh
    when she stood on the catwalk holding the pigtail and said gee where does this go?I wanted to yank her off and kick her,dont need another woman acting stupid out there

6. Chase05

Chase05 Medium Load Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Central NY
    I've seen the movies and TV shows. I know all you lady drivers are just models hidden underneath plaid shirts. That's the whole reason I'm getting in to this.

7. c64basic

c64basic Medium Load Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Frozen Tundra
    I have to watch Shipping Wars because I hate it so much - all the scripted smack talk, all the fabricated issues... what an abortion of a 'reality' show. Who is it fooling?

I wish they'd make a truck driving version of COPS... something that's actually believable.

Jerry82 Thanks this.
  8. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    We've got some real professionals on the Ice Road don't we? One does not do a post trip inspection and comes to work to haul a critical 1 million dollar load and he can not because the fuel tank is coming off. The other does not do a pre-trip and finds out he's got no trailer brakes. Sure maybe the brakes went out while on the road but just relying on his past performance I'd say he didn't check the truck at all.

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I just watched the show from last night and don't agree that she has improved nor really has the skills to be held up as someone special. It seems to prove that anyone can drive a truck. I'm listening to the commentary about her being an "Alaskan Icon" and there sitting in her seat without a seat belt, talking BS about how she handled kids on a school bus by slamming on the brakes. I understand that Carlise would have never hired her to begin with if it wasn't for the money and free advertising they got from the show but as one who does hire drivers, I would be really hard pressed to hire her or some of the others who appeared on the show but not to drive.

We don't see the screw ups or the edited footage showing us how they really operate but we don't see their real skills in a managed reality show like this - it is assumed that the producers of the show want people who present well but they neither understand or care what professional driving is all about. Putting out videos on YouTUbe means little to me, if she insisted on not being part of a farce and respected herself more to actually take time to learn the skills she needed, then I would respect her. The same goes for "Hugh", he's an idiot and any of us running without trailer brakes would be stupid not to check why let alone run without them on roads like that.

10. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    I have to agree that Lisa is nothing more than a beginner on trucks. I know drivers that have been driving truck and trailers hauling gasoline with 20 years safe driving. That's with no accidents or tickets in the city. They are the one's that we think are Icons. A record without a blemish for that long is a hard act to follow. I think that Jack from a couple of years ago was about the best they had to offer. But again we only see what the show wants us to see. It's purely for entertainment.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.