What's The Fastest Way To Dry Out Reefer ..

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by STexan, May 19, 2016.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    With channeled floor after washout? More particularly, immediately prior to needing to pre-cool to -10 for next load? Or, just wash it out, set at -10 and head to the shipper?

My thought is to run continuous at around 35 doors closed but was wondering how long that might take to dry out [mostly]

Ever run into a shipper that would not load because was wet or frozen water inside?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    When I was a teenager. Had a friend on a farm would hang it upside down on a rope for thirty days

4. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Hair dryer???

Grubby and tucker Thank this.
  5. Ryan423

Ryan423 Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2016
    California
    80 continuous with the little door open. Good luck with the -10.:eek:

The idea is that warmer air can hold more moisture. Which dries the trailer when the moist air is pushed out the little door.

It sounds like you don't have much time to work with.

kee1227 Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some shippers don't mind seeing clear water because then they know the trailer has just been washed.

unloader Thanks this.
  7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Yea. We have those stupid trailer tails and can't open the little door ... don't ask why they spec with inspection door then put trailer tails with the lower panels installed, too so you can't get to the door.

It could use a washout. The Blue Beacon S Atlanta won't open until 07:00 I think. And I'm supposed to load at 10:00. I'll probably let it go. It's not too bad but was wondering for future reference.

8. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I think @Chinatown is right, if they see clear water/ice they know the trailer was cleaned. Unless the drains were plugged and there is a skating rink of ice around them, they shouldn't have an issue. I have the same issue with the trailer tails, can't even open enough to peek inside enroute.

I have had issues the other way. A dry load after a -10 load. Kinda like @crappiejunkie's hair dryer idea, after I ran it at 65 for a bit, I got out my cordless blower and pushed as much of the beaded water back to the drains.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  9. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Make sure drain holes are completely clear......close doors...set temp and ride....done it for years....no issues.....but I always step down to temp...unit doesn't work as hard and when it's damp inside....evap has to work harder and she'll kick into defrost more often....delayin your coolin process....my alternative is to disconnect the hi speed circuit in this scenario.....;)

RedForeman and gokiddogo Thank this.
  10. tonycr

tonycr Light Load Member

Feb 28, 2013
  11. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Long air hose connected to gladhand.
    Dump airbags on trailer or raise tractor.(or use both,even better)
    Start at front....work your way to the back.
    80 to 90% off your water will be gone.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.