Whats the point of getting your LLc if you are lease on with a company?? Jus asking

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by jpgale22, May 1, 2016.

1. India303

India303 Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Arizona
    The only protection is to not have any assets. That or bury cash in the garden. An attorney I know (my sister) once told me those who live in run down rented single wide trailer don't get sued. Actually her words were "Poor white trash don't get sued for a reason". That came out with me looking at suing a guy for crashing through my back wall and damaging my property. No insurance and hit and run, That and renters who bailed on me. Not worth filing a lawsuit. I know, not LLC related but I have different experience and perspectives.

And then there is the process to collect on a judgement awarded by a court.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I just got a ride from evenings services from the PI attorney who sits behind me. He said essentially the same thing. I'll paraphrase what he said; Yes, I would include the driver, as he caused the accident, but if he's driving a truck, he's got no money!

4. Jourayce

Jourayce Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Mississippi
    Walmart would still eat alot of the blame in your scenario. They can't just sale something they know nothing about. Also you are wrong anyways I lease and don't have an llc and if anything happens I am covered through my company it's called insurance which I pay through the company.

5. pullintrains

pullintrains Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2015
    If you get in an accident.. A corporation.. They can only go after your truck and not your house.. Is the main reason... Talk to your accountant

6. Mattsiah

Mattsiah Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2015
    LLC or INC will only protect the owners from someone elses negligence. If you are the owner and the driver and found at fault in an accident, that is your negligence, your personal assets are still at risk.

cptdragn and cnsper Thank this.
  7. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    That's not true if you are driving they can sue company your leased to your LLC and you personally . If you drove for yellow freight and hit somebody they can sue yellow and you

8. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    There is really no reason. To LLC if your the only one in the LLC you and LLC is the same all can be sued

9. Robert85006

Robert85006 Medium Load Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Southwest USA
    I want to see a family of seven get in a smart car BTW...

TruckerPissJug and cnsper Thank this.
  10. .RYAN

.RYAN Light Load Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Watch some Legal Lee's videos on YouTube to see how to protect your personal assets when setting up a LLC.

jpgale22 Thanks this.
  11. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    A corporation is still legally considered a separate entity, even with only one stockholder. That doesn't mean that you are completely shielded from being sued. The opposition would still need to prove culpability and they might be able to penetrate the corporate veil if you have not crossed all your t's and dotted your i's. If you have personally co-signed for any business loans, then you could still have some responsibility for repaying those loans.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.