What's your average wait time to get a load when empty?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Driver0000, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Driver0000

Driver0000 Medium Load Member

Jun 26, 2016
    usually, I'll have a load on me before I'm empty.

Sometimes, it takes an hour to get me loaded.

I ran into another driver for my company and she said she's waited over 24 hours to get a load. And that was on the east coast. That'd drive me nuts

What's your avg wait?
    Longest wait?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    When I was running western Canada, average was between 20-30 minutes while being unloaded. In my regional position, I usually get an answer within 15 minutes at most. My company doesn't believe in making drivers wait for loads (we have better things to do). They usually have a reload lined up days before (we have lots of regular customers).

Longest wait I ever had was waiting to hear back in Saskatoon after an unload. Two hours to find out I needed to be in Carrot River before 3:30pm for a reload. It was 1:30pm and Carrot River is 3 hours away. One of the best night's sleep I had in the truck in that town. So calm and quiet.

4. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    I normally have a preplan and if not I call my dispatcher the day before delivery to get him working on one.

From the time I send in my empty message until I receive the new load it's usually about 5 minutes.

5. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    A "Good" carrier Will NEVER allow a driver to sit especially without compensation.........

I don't care whether freight is slow,Your in the Mifddle of New mexico or Southwest Texas, YOU KEEP FREIGHT ON THAT TRAILER- Or its $30 per hour to the driver to Wait for the next assignment.

As an Independent Myself- I Don't have Time Nor Money to waste on a Dead sitting Truck- Unless im at Home.

see way too many Drivers wasting their Lives away ,waiting at truckstops or parking lots For a Planner or dispatcher to "Conveniently" send them a Load. WITHOUT ANY COMPENSATION to the driver.

6. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    Friday I waited 90 minutes for my next load info after I got empty. First time it's happened at this job. Nope, didn't get paid either. Good news is, they paid me well above my usual regional cpm for the whole day, and I was home in my bed that evening.

7. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Flatbed. About an hour.
    Two hours tops.
    Three hours and I'm leaving the shopper on to the next one

8. Lucy in the Sky

Lucy in the Sky Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Compensation? For something other than bloody household miles? Not likely. Lots of times I'll have a plan on me. Might not pick up till hours after I deliver. Then the shipper says "your appointment isn't till 1900!" As if I personally called and told them I'd be there at 1900, then showed up early some I'm the #######.

Or my absolute favorite. Deliver before 10 am and get a call from Dispatch; "got you a load but it doesn't pickup until late 0130 tomorrow morning, and needs to be delivered by 10 am, so go ahead and STAY ON BREAK" as if I'm some sort of robot that can sleep a few hours after waking up.

DTP Thanks this.
  9. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    All the megas have no problem sitting out drivers for days on end and beating them out layover.

6wheeler Thanks this.
  10. Swedish Chef

Swedish Chef Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    If I'm not preplanned I usually wait no more than an hour or two for my next assignment. Fortunately, I'm preplanned 90% of the time. My company is pretty good at planning. A few weeks ago I did a load from Charlotte to Dallas. I hadn't even made it to Alabama yet, and I already got my next assignment. It really all depends on your company's customers & where you'll be unloading.

11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I've got a pre-plan 12-24 hours before empty probably 9 out of 10 times. The other time I get the load within a few hours of arriving at final. Rarely have to sit more then 4 hours to make PU appt but today is one of those days. Empty at 08:00 but reload is 16:00, 60 miles away and then deal with SoCal traffic at 17:30 to from Irvine back to I-15 and up the hill. Don't want to think about it right now.

I work at a mid-size temp controlled carrier with roughly 200+ trucks running all 48. They resort to brokers only when they have to to keep us moving but that's not very often.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.