Wheel assembly comes of truck and kills 2

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by BeanDip, Jun 1, 2015.

1. BeanDip

BeanDip Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2014
    S.W Michigan
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Criminey Jade

Criminey Jade Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Not Colorado Anymore
    Axle breakaway? Loose lugnuts? Here's a video of another wheeloff incident. This driver was showing signs before it came off. I keep wondering how you could drive and not feel the wheel rattle before coming off. It looks like a steer broke away. You ought to feel that working it's way loose through the whole cab.

tsavory Thanks this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I've seen this probably more times then I can count on two hands in my many decades of driving. How can it happen? I don't know, but it does.

I've seen 2 tires/rims rolling down the road by themselves as a dual, and I've seen complete rims/tires/axle separated from the truck. And, I've seen tires come off of rims and proceed on their own little trip. I've even seen a large truck tire literally wedged into the passenger windshield of a Swift truck. Crap happens.

No. Never had any of the things happen to me. Knock on wood.

5. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I had a fluke, one stud broke and one wheel came off leaving the other tire, which stayed on but had a leak in it to go flat enough to catch fire.

Fire happened in a small town, fire extinguisher was useless, so was the second,and the fire department put it out.

I saw the broken stud, and we found the other tire and wheel.

The shop had a lot of trouble with those trailers and took to placing a spacer between the wheels(looked like a gasket) and that solved the problem of wheels coming loose. I always check the hubs after running awhile for heating up out of the ordinary.

tech10171968 and Criminey Jade Thank this.
  6. OldHasBeen

OldHasBeen Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Once years ago I was West of Pennwell, TX, following a bull wagon. At that time we had to run the service roads. They were in the process of building the interstate, and they had a two lane service road for both those going west and east.

The outside back left tire on the bull wagon came off, it hit the ditch between the service road we were on and the east bound interstate lane they were building, them went air borne.

As I watched it go up, up, and away I saw a car coming down the west bound service road, I feared that tire would hit that car head on. But it didn’t. That tire went way over the two intestate lanes that were being built and over the west bound service road the car that was going west on and hit out in a pasture and went rolling out of sight.

I got hold of the bull wagon on my CB telling him he lost the left rear tire on his trailer, he did not believe me. I asked him to pull over and take a look, the other tire and rim might just come off too. Finally he stopped and I stopped with him.

He could not believe that tire and rim came off, even seeing it not there. That’s something that can happen. All of the lug nuts were still on the axel, and they were tight. Seems the rim gave up and it went flying.

Had a friend who drove for the same company I did. Going west east of Quartzsite, AZ, he lost 2 tires, rims, brake drum on the right rear back axel and all somewhere east of Quartzsite one night. The axel was about 8 inches to a foot about the ground, and did not drag. He found it gone when he was fueling up at Quartzsite.

Strange things can happen, and you never know when it will happen.

Criminey Jade Thanks this.
  7. BeanDip

BeanDip Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2014
    S.W Michigan
    So how likely would this have been with a more thorough pre-trip. Not that the driver didn't do an adequate pre-trip. I don't know any of the details as far as that goes.

Can something like this be chalked up to just "Nothing (reasonable) could have been done. It's just a fluke thing. Life is unpredictable. Crap happens..."

8. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    If a wheel bearing goes bad, even if you checked and the hubs were full of oil, anything can happen. I've seen the ends of axels snap off.

tsavory, Hammer166, 201 and 2 others Thank this.
  9. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    You're supposed to be able to head off trouble with pretrips, although stopping after you have been running awhile tends to find more.

Mine was unexplained, no rust anywhere. And I had stopped less than 100miles previous and did a walk around.

After the repair,the mechanic got it set too tight, and had to come up to MN where he was able to borrow a torque wrench to set it correctly.

Setting the bearings too tight is not good.

bullhaulerswife and Criminey Jade Thank this.
  10. OldHasBeen

OldHasBeen Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2010
    You can check it and everything will look A-OK, and it can come off at any moment. You never know.

11. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    I had a wheel bearing go on a van trailer once. Noticed the smoke, pulled over and the wheels were in the process of separating as a unit. The brake shoes were on fire and I put the fire out with my extinguisher. That could have been a really bad situation. A service truck came out from the WES-T-GO truck stop in Tye Texas. He removed the wheels from the front tandem axle and he followed me the ten miles to the truck stop at 30 mph. I was loaded heavy with bottled water. Dropped the trailer and bobtailed back to Dallas.

Gulf Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.