when big trucks want over in your lane

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Muddydog79, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Muddydog79

Muddydog79 Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Next time u speed up instead of giving in and letting a big truck over think of this. Not saying the truckers always right everytime, but the one time your not paying attention to whats going on in front of you, this could happen and cost someones life.

TEXARKANA, Ark. (AP) - Police in Texarkana, Arkansas, say a man was killed when he stepped into the path of a tractor-trailer rig on Interstate 30.

Police say the unidentified man died Friday when he was struck on the Arkansas side of the city, about three miles east of the Arkansas-Texas state line.

Police say the man walked in front of the semi in the eastbound lane and was dead at the scene.

This could easily been prevented if the driver/4 wheeler would spare 1 minute of their time.

bzinger Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    What does a suicide have to do with a truck merging? Or did you miss the part "man walked in front of the semi"?

4. Muddydog79

Apr 14, 2016
    Did it say man committed suicide by walking in front of semi? Im just stating the fact that a big percentage of truckers dont merge when they should, or even try too when its perfectly safe to. Alot of times its because 4wheelers dont have common courtesy to let one over when someones walking or working on a broke down vehicle on the side of the interstate. If you drive, you know what im talking about. Its just a reminder of what your conscious could deal with the rest of your life because you couldnt spare 10 seconds to merge or let a truck merge in certain situations. Suicide? Really? Lol

5. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    spyder7723 and ZVar Thank this.
  6. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
  7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    If you read the post yes, suicide. If it was an accident the story would have said "struck while walking" or somesuch. When it says "stepped into the path" it is not an accident.

As to you main point of getting over I do agree that way too many drivers don't even when they can.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Suicide by truck. Messy.

I also see suicide by train from time to time. But the worst are children whose parents do not pay attention and wander into reach of the engine roaring by. Then the dead kid is knocked 200 feet across the depot like a rag doll. What a waste. One in Harpers ferry was too close to the rail on the platform when freight approached at speed wailing the whistle to get back. 50 mph was almost sufficient to push the man away with the first air pressure and then try to suck him under the second engine. Someone grabbed him and saved him.

Back to truck. I don't care to count how many times I had to horse the wheel and get past someone in the way the entire situation itself is immaterial., You do not hit anyone period. There are a few people imprinted on my minds eye even today who lost 8 lives while my tractor missed them and the trailer missed them less. I will never forget them.

Or the catwalk in NYC near hunts. They get up there and start fooling with the glad hands. A heavy J turn at 30 scrapes em off. Screams and cursing tell me he is not dead. Later Engineers did not install grab irons on the sides of the sleeper and changed the geometry of the fairings so that it's truly dangerous to try and hop on a modern truck rolling by.

If you are rolling down the highway in a car knowing nothing about trucks and you get passed... stay put with what you got. It's not personal. Likely you are slower than he or she is on the governor limit and it's exacting important that truck keeps against the governor becuase dispatchers make appointment times to 15 minutes and fire those who are 20 minutes late.

Let em roll by. And live.

I introduce a new thought with all the crappy drivers coming here from overseas to drive really cheaply our trucks. Stay away from them #### things. I do.

Here in Arkansas you might find us in convoy with a professional at 65 or so, not necessarily 70. It's a habit. Say hello sometime. You never know.

9. Muddydog79

Apr 14, 2016
    I just researched a little more, it was suicide, my bad. Thats crazy. I'll be thinking of this next time i see someone walking down the interstate....and yes, im still going to merge if possible. Too many times i see a vehicle speed up soon as they see that blinker come on, and more times than not they then pass you in the slow lane once you do merge. The point i was trying to get across to 4/wheelers is pay attention and be curtious when a truck is trying to merge when a vehicle/pedestrian is on the side of the road... could save a life by sparing 10 seconds of your time.

10. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Read my mind with that 2nd part, X.
    Two sure ways to be relieved of your life if you want out.

Did you know statistically, more women attempt but more men succeed? We use, generally, more lethal means... like trying to occupy the same physical space as a 40 ton 65mph+ vehicle.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.