When Choosing a Carrier....?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by AchioteCoyote, Oct 24, 2016.

When choosing a Carrier, what are the three most important aspects?

Poll closed Jan 24, 2017.
  1. Benefits

19 vote(s)
    54.3%
  2. Route / Region Availability

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Overall Pay

25 vote(s)
    71.4%
  4. Governed Speed

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  5. Terminal Location(s)

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  6. Overall General Condition of Equipment

12 vote(s)
    34.3%
  7. Retirement Plan

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  8. Respect of Driver

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  9. Carrier Name / Reputation

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  10. Tractor Amenities

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. AchioteCoyote

AchioteCoyote Light Load Member

Jul 24, 2011
    West Jordan, Utah
    When choosing a trucking company, what three aspects are most important?

I realize that there are many aspects beyond the ten listed, but the poll thread limits possible choices to only ten.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    I voted. Have to assume "Benefits" includes "Pay" since the option is missing. And "Terminal Location" includes "Home Time" since that is missing as well.

Get me paid, and get me home.

4. AchioteCoyote

Jul 24, 2011
    West Jordan, Utah
    Yeah.... ya gotta play with it a little and sort of fit it where it might be reasonable to fit it.

But, I will mention that there is "Overall Pay" listed on the choices.

5. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    Missed the "Overall Pay"....my bad.

6. TruckDrivingtn

TruckDrivingtn Light Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    Maryville Tn
    Overal pay Driver Resect and amenities

7. Stormy 69

Stormy 69 Medium Load Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Confusion
    I do this just for the pure enjoyment.

8. fireba11

fireba11 Heavy Load Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Tracy City, TN
    Everyone is different for sure! I think one important option you didn't have on the list is Home Time!

AchioteCoyote Thanks this.
  9. AchioteCoyote

Jul 24, 2011
    West Jordan, Utah
    Yeah.... my bad on that one.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Benefits? Forget it. Your paycheck will still pay any comchecks borrowed first.

Route? Region Availibility? Forget that. Dispatch tells you to go here or there, you cannot refuse such work. And what work it is too. You are a Fine American Trucker, thus such work should not be a issue.

Overall Pay? Forget that too. It's what YOU SPEND that matters. even more important is the carrier having to SPEND money to fix your boo boos. Thus you need savings first to be able to change to another Carrier once your DAC clears from the first preventable firing.

Governed Speed? Forget it. This is not 1995 anymore Grasshopper. Dollar Trucks have been casterated so that you may enjoy the view at much slower speeds to be more late to appointments assigned to you.

Terminal Locations. Forget it. It's always far from home which you will see 10 minutes to get your stuff for training, and almost never when you are dispatched so far across the USA on a regular basis.

Overall condition of Equiptment. Forget it. IF you can accept the sloth, filth, piss cans in the bunk and overall neglect and abuse with a very muntinous shop determined to discourage you from airing complaints about same, it's time to look for another company.

Retirement Plan? Forget it. Build a porch, buy a nice rocking chair while you have a pay check Mr Driver. You will be using that soon enough.

Respect of Driver? Forget that too. What with all the previous questions listed in the survey, you understand that your Professional outlook, motivation and aspiration to be the very best our Nation has to offer is completely and totally destroyed in favor of Mendacity and Medicoracy. If you are someday promoted to Dispatch, you will be given the tools at that time to express lipservice as necessary to soothe the disrepectful and abusive driver work force.

Carrier Name and reputation? Forget it. Just one word. Swift. That is the carrier du joir today, remember if you are really bad, your carrier will be tomorrow's du joir.

Tractor Amenities. Forget it. You are given the very best half million dollars worth of cloud luxury to ease the pains of your struggle and slave labor as you sweat to obey the edicts issued by your nice dispatcher. Who gets to ease home daily in either a Beamer, or a caddy. You are in the wrong side of the company Mister Driver.

11. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Better get parked in a tunnel while that sky is falling... Lol

AchioteCoyote Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.