When to Sign a Log Sheet?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by LostinTransition, Jul 1, 2016.

1. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    Is approving logs supposed to be done on duty or off duty?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Can be done anytime. I approve mine at the end of every day when I log off. I guess you can approve it anytime, cause it records to the minute, I mean you could approve them everytime you change duty status if you wanted to. If you get DOT'd and you didn't approve your logs for yesterday, or yesterday and the day before, they can site you for unsigned log.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Now I remember. Pretrips and post trips. I was inspected after getting intercepted south of Sayre NY on the PA side of the line running fast to get there before my drving time for both day and total 70 hours was busted for the week.

After I said good morning to DOT man on my fuel tank, I proceeded to tell him, I do not have hours for his 30 minute DOT inspection combined with a now 20 minute threat of being late to reciever which was a VA hospital and a load of roofing material for the place under construction that month. I have had no lawful time left on the logs to do a #### thing then and there.

He frowned. Then smiled when he realized mentally what he could do to me. JACKPOT! It was not a nice smile. I shook like a scared kid in the schoolyard.

He inspected the jesus out of my logs, came back, inspected my truck and stood on my tank and said... you ran really hard this week. If I were you do not come south of the PA Line today or Tomorrow. Have a good day.

Ridge running at that point the last 20 miles or so was a academic exerise in power application to traction.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  5. LostinTransition

LostinTransition Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Ok how about during audits, what if a sheet somehow slipped through unsigned. Will that still be citeable?

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Hm. Law says you are to be "Afforded" (Given) an oppertunity to correct something to make right one time during inspection. Little did I know then it would be a cornerstone in my later years.

7. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    I sign mine based on the average response of the 17 prior threads on this subject this year.

Studebaker Hawk Thanks this.
  8. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    That's not elog. Guidance, its guidance D

9. Macneil

Macneil Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Sudbury, ON., Canada
    I've always signed the log and pre trip paper before I release the yellow button. Is this right? Nope..have I ever been given grief by a DOT/MTO officer? Nope!

Was at a truck stop the other night and a buddy of mine whom I used to work with; was telling me he got a warning about having his log signed prior to the end of his day in Eastern Canada. I said I'd never been given grief about it and he also said the same in his 20 years of driving.

The officer he was dealing with found the rules/law about it and it is supposed to go unsigned until the end of your day!

10. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Yes, in Canada the rule is very clear, the first six words in 82(3):

Commercial Vehicle Drivers Hours of Service Regulations (SOR/2005-313)

Daily Logs

Content of Daily Logs

82(3) At the end of each day, the motor carrier shall require that the driver records and the driver shall record the total hours for each duty status and the total distance driven by the driver that day, excluding the distance driven in respect of the driver’s personal use of the vehicle, as well as the odometer reading at the end of the day and sign the daily log attesting to the accuracy of the information recorded in it.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2005-313/page-5.html#h-41

Macneil Thanks this.
  11. Macneil

Macneil Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Sudbury, ON., Canada
    ^^ive always signed it at the beginning of my shift and never had any problems. Oops lol

Johnnies24 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.