Where Are You Continues, Again.....

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by Giggles the Original, Sep 13, 2014.

1. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Still at the house....should be rollin towards the lonestar...but that would require gittin off my dead### this am..which Im in no particular hurry to do......:)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave 1960

Dave 1960 Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Shepherd, TX
    I ran a few miles up 59 to Goodrich to get a drum of soap to deliver for my Dad in the AM.
    The temp never made it all the way to the old normal. I would guess 170 max.
    But the oil pressure bottoms out even at that relatively cool temp.

The engine needs rebuilt. But there ain't no way to pay to have that done. And the time off would be BRUTAL.

It pretty much goes without saying that another truck must come into my life.

4. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    After an ugly drive down I-5, 300 miles of smoke sometimes extremely thick (Central Point through Medford) and lighter drift smoke down to Redding/Red Bluff, made it home. Since the news is pretty much ignoring the West Coast...gee big surprise...thought I would give y'all a little update on what we are dealing with out here.

CA has over 24 "large fires" [classified as over 100 acres of timber and/or 300 acres of brush], OR has 2, and WA is dealing with 9. (Links provided at the end of this post.) The largest of these is the "Rocky Fire", burning east and north of Clear Lake (Hwy 20/Hwy 16) at this mornings fire report of over 46,000 acres. Last night, between 1900 and 2359 the fire doubled its size in just 5 hours, destroying 24 homes and uncounted number of outbuildings. One firefighter death has occurred, a 38 year old fire captain from South Dakota. Cal Fire is not releasing information of how this death occurred, however, a media report from Cal Fire made mention of a warning given to all firefighters on these Northern CA fires, for them to extremely aware of booby traps around known and unknown pot farms. Timing of these two items lead me to speculate there could be a connection.

So far, what fires have ignited in our region, have been contained to less than 20 acres. Our largest had Hwy 50 closed for 3 days above Pollock Pines, in the close proximity to my last fire around Kyburz. Weather forecasts have increasing air moisture and reduced temps for the region, maintaining an average of high 80's to 90 degrees, with an onshore wind remaining calm estimating at below a 20mph velocity.

Here are the links for CA, OR, and WA:
    http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents/incidents_current?sort=incident_priority &pc=5&cp=0
    http://gacc.nifc.gov/nwcc/information/firemap.aspx

5. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    what i saw was fires around the pot farms and no one is worried
    wow man

Big Don and Vilhiem Thank this.
  6. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Who has been eating who? :biggrin_2554: Well... never mind....

I made a delivery of donations to a very nice place last Monday in NC.. it's an organization that helps folks that have been in jail and involved in all kinds of crimes but decided to change their lives for the better and become productive in society...
    Parked here...
    [​IMG]

At the entrance gate and they unloaded me right there...

[​IMG]

they didn't have enough space in their warehouse... so they brought another trailer to store the rest of it....

And they gave me a tour in their building to show what they do in there... Pretty nice... they have a huge kitchen, cafeteria, conference room, library, classrooms... they also have dormitories and much more... And they also have a CDL program... :yes2557:

From there, I went to another place in SC to pick up another donation load... they asked me to drop my empty trailer at the same dock where my loaded trailer was... :biggrin_25510: I hate that...
    Anyway.. had to drop my empty at the yard, unhook...
    Hook to the loaded trailer at the dock, and drop it at the yard and unhook...
    Then hook back to the empty and put it at the dock...

[​IMG]

Not much space in front of that dock...
    And then, unhook and hook back to the loaded trailer that I had dropped... :biggrin_2552:
    I did sweat some...

Arrived at my company warehouse on the following day for delivery and guys took more than half day to unload my trailer and load it with another load... All because dispatcher had not sent them the order in advance... and it took them time to sort the product and prepare the load...
    So, I had to sit there all day and left at 00:30 of next day...
    Next delivery was a church in the middle of the sticks in Kentucky...
    Gentleman/receiver gave me directions on the phone but I couldn't find the place on Google maps....:biggrin_25512: There was no address and my communication with receiver wasn't very good... I had a hard time understanding him and he understanding me... :biggrin_25523: So... I asked him to meet me at the exit ramp and I would follow him...

We passed a few sharp curves on the hill but the road wasn't too bad... :biggrin_25512:

[​IMG]

Narrow little bridge...

[​IMG]

It was a beautiful sunny day... :biggrin_25519:

[​IMG]

Delivered right on their yard...

[​IMG]

After empty, headed to Memphis, TN... Pick up another load on Saturday, delivered at my company's warehouse in TN again yesterday and now at FJ in IN...
    Found this great spot on the first row...:)

[​IMG]

About 5 mins from shipper... another donation load that will be going to company's warehouse in TN again...

Next week will take 7 days off in my extended stay hotel in TN... mainly to check my POBox, make sure my vehicle is still running, stock up on some food items for my next 3 or 4 months on the road, go to doctor, etc, etc...
    Will try to find a swimming pool... would like to swim a little... or maybe a spa with jacuzzi... that would be awesome!! :yes2557:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  7. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    As Al would say.......in the Ham.......#2of 12.....fixin Ta head west.....any luck at all git 5more today&be somewhere near Big D fer supper;)

8. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    Still at the house..

I'm digging on this being unemployed... :thumbup:

Went on a really long motorcycle ride last night and have done nothing at all today.. :)

Rocks, chopper103in and Vilhiem Thank this.
  9. Cranky Yankee

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    so if you sold a couple toys you could buy your own truck
    and hate yourself when it isn't workin out?

10. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    I hated myself even when it was working, thats why I got out of the O/O bizz in 2001... :confused3:

otherhalftw, Big Don and Cranky Yankee Thank this.
  11. Cranky Yankee

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    "Beyond Cranky" Mike

Vilhiem and Tall Mike Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.