Where do I get a HID conversion kit for a 2007 Volvo VN780

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by mrktwiz, Apr 23, 2011.

1. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk

I ran a 50w in my 2014 before doing a bixenon conversion and it did just as you said, melted the projector up something fierce.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lightbulb91

lightbulb91 Bobtail Member

Aug 7, 2015
    You don't have to reprogram anything on the truck period. I've had an Amazon special $45, 4300k hid kit in mine for almost a year, I do mostly night driving and so they run pretty much constantly. My ECM / LCM has never thrown a code, warning, or complaint. It works just fine. All I did with mine was put some more robust terminals on the ballast power wires and put some dielectric grease in there to prevent corrosion. But with the Volvo VNL's the problem is not so much the bulb as it is the cheap crap reflectors they use in the headlight assembly themselves. It's a 2.5 to 3 inch reflector made out of plastic with what amounts to hot wheels car chrome on them. The high temp of halogen or HID just burns the chrome right off. It even happens with LED bulbs but just takes longer. There's a company that makes a retrofit kit for the low beams in these Volvo's. It's called something like MK2 mini projector. It's about $450. It takes about an hour to install and you have E to remove the headlight assembly, which is simple. Four bolts, two plugs, and it's out. It's easier if you have help. Moral of the story, you could have a light as bright as the sun, but if you don't have a quality fixture to throw the light and spread it properly, it isn't going to make a bit of difference.

4. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    I have a deepspace HID kit from my old 780 I'd love to sell if u want to save some money

If you can afford it though , the factory trucklight LED headlights are far superior..

lightbulb91 Thanks this.
  5. CoyoteExpress

CoyoteExpress Medium Load Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Carlingford NB Canada
  6. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    http://www.raneystruckparts.com/vol...headlight-with-led-dual-function-turn-signal/

These have recently come out. A coworker has them and loves them, he sells hid kits so he usually doesn't like led.

The problem with plug and play hid in volvo was the low beam shutting off when you switch to high beam and leaving you blind.

I heard a rumor that volvo can change a parameter in the lcm to leave low Bram on but I've not seen it with my own eyes and I don't know if it's just the newer ones or not.

7. lightbulb91

Aug 7, 2015
    If you're talking to me, yeah, what are you asking for the deep space kit though? The factory led headlights are over $900 a piece, and besides, my aim is to see where I'm going, not to blind everyone and everything in front of me-except weigh station, red light, and speed cameras and police radar.

8. lightbulb91

Aug 7, 2015

Yeah, I had that problem initially inline, but I found that if you just beef up the connections, keep everything clean inside the assembly, and take good care of your wiring, once the lights warm up, the LCM won't say a thing. Also, it will throw an error code if the wiring is old and degraded, and if you tried to add anything else onto that circuit. It would pull too much amperage and cause the cables and connections to heat up, increasing resistance, and make the computer shut it down. It's to keep you from burning your truck to the ground. If all else fails, you don't have to reprogram the LCM anyway because for $10 each you can just go buy the relay harness and run another set of power wires either from the battery's or just piggy back the battery connection on the alternator (which I don't like, but it works in a pinch)

9. lightbulb91

Aug 7, 2015
    Right now with my factory lights, all I really need is a new low beam sub assembly. The rest of the light is fine. In good shape, not clouded or crazed.

10. dustinbrock

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    That's what I did with my 2014. I bought the deep space light kit but I built my own relay harness to the high beam reflector as well and ran a halogen bulb in there as well.

The volvo lcm actually has the ability to learn. One volvo I used a canbus ballast, the other I used a cheap Chinese ripoff of cnlight ballasts and it was throwing a bulb out code, I would turn off the lights and clear the code then turn the lights back on and the code would reappear. Did this 5 times and it learned that is the voltage it should be looking for. I did thsee same steps with the fog lights.

A coworker thought I was full of it so I did it to his and it accepted the hid no problem, he was mad because really ran with that error code for 6 months.

I am no far beyond cheap, poor quality ebay kits especially for anyone in a big rig. I can see people using junk in a car but not on a big rig. I have since done a morimoto fx-r 3.0 conversion with a 50w morimoto ballast and osram night breaker 4300k d2s bulbs

If I were getting the deep space kit, I would upgrade from the morimoto d2s bulb to a osram or phillips. well worth the extra money in light output.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  11. v6killer

v6killer Medium Load Member

Dec 6, 2010
    ChicagoLand
    Actually they're only $690 the side, found a Volvo dealer in North Carolina advertises on the Internet they have specials on those lights every now and then. Pick up a pair, two years ago for $1,270.00 to the door that included free shipping

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.