Where do you test for CDL at phoenix acadamy ?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by k1221n2, Oct 9, 2015.

1. k1221n2

k1221n2 Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2014
    Does swift employ in house CDL testers, or do they send you to the DMV ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. inkeper

inkeper Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas

Some years ago Swift had a relationship with 3rd party testers at the Millington school, it did not work out so well. As far as I know now, all testing is done by home state DMV.

4. SteveH85396

SteveH85396 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Waddell, AZ
    In 2011 Swift was still doing 3rd party testing in AZ, no idea if they still do.

5. GWS

GWS Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2015
    3rd party AZ DMV Examiners, some are Swift academy instructors some are not.

6. k1221n2

k1221n2 Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2014
    How long of a wait is there between passing the course and being scheduled for the cdl exam ? I'm going to be a little thin on funds, I need to start making some money quick.

QUOTE="GWS, post: 4830035, member: 168941"]3rd party AZ DMV Examiners, some are Swift academy instructors some are not.[/QUOTE]

7. SteveH85396

SteveH85396 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Waddell, AZ
    You pass the course by passing your CDL driving test. As soon as you pass AND have your paperwork you can head down to the AZ MDV in Goodyear and get your CDL. The day I tested out I had time to stop by the MVD, take a number, ride home (I live nearby), take a shower, then drive back with my wife BEFORE they called my number.

inkeper Thanks this.
  8. GWS

GWS Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2015
    In the last week of the academy (road week) you have an evaluation on Thursday, if you pass the road evaluation then you take the final test (CDL) on Friday morning. You then will start orientation on the following monday, that is when you start getting paid. If your are in the swift academy provided motel room, you will stay in it for the weekend and then be upgraded to a better room on Sunday evening before orientation. Also lunch the first day of orientation is provided and the next 2 days you receive a $5 token to use at the cafe. You can in fact leave with a mentor the last day of orientation, after 4pm. Some do. So things happen pretty quickly after the academy. The only down time is the weekend between.

(This is based of the Phoenix academy)

9. GWS

GWS Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2015
    Also testing is done onsite at the swift academy, with the exception of the road test being done on the streets and interstate highways around the academy in phx. On Friday afternoon if you pass the CDL test you may drive over to the dmv to get your CDL (you've already passed it, this is just turning the paperwork and getting your license from them. No fees or tests at this point) or the academy will take you there. Either way you will get there and then be dropped off at the motel afterwards.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.