Where IS EGR Valve on ISX?

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by bossboy2, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Magnum1

Magnum1 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2010
    NJ
    The code that I've posted is the only one. Tell me why I can't time it my self?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Duramaxxed

Duramaxxed Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Bourbonnais, IL
    Timing wont fix your code then. The code is for a bad position sensor. Needs a new valve if that is the only code active.

4. Magnum1

Dec 13, 2010
    NJ
    It is the only code active. Explain to me why I can not "fix" the sensor my self? It was working fine b4 I took t apart and the gutts falling out. If it's out of timing, how can it be timed?
    C'mon, there has to be a way to fix it without replacing it. I do not like to be the parts changer, if it can be fixed.
    You said that it is out of timing, you must know how/why. Share some of your knowledge.

5. Duramaxxed

Jan 2, 2012
    Bourbonnais, IL
    If there was no code, why would you disassemble the valve? I have never taken one apart because I work for a dealer, we replace parts when they fail. According to the troubleshooting tree for your code, if that is the only code active the valve needs to be replaced as the valve is not field serviceable. My guess is that you dont have something inside together correctly and its shorting out the sensor since the code is now a shorted to low source.

6. Magnum1

Dec 13, 2010
    NJ
    Would it be to much to ask of you to perhaps send me the non working and unopened egr valve or open it and send me the pictures of it closed and open? The valve
    It self would be more
    Helpful.

7. Duramaxxed

Jan 2, 2012
    Bourbonnais, IL
    Core charge on every valve replaced. I don't think the charge is cheap either. I wouldn't risk losing core credit by taking one apart. Maybe someone else could help you w/ that.

8. Magnum1

Dec 13, 2010
    NJ
    If there is a core
    Charge, I'd say that they rebuilt them. They only have few gears, chain link, inside. That's it.

9. Duramaxxed

Jan 2, 2012
    Bourbonnais, IL
    Did some research today, you could try and change just the position sensor. Got these part numbers off a ESN from an 870 in the shop. Provide me w/ your ESN and i can make sure they are the right part numbers.

EGR valve Kit - 79121806
    EGR valve - 3104874
    Position Sensor - 3103823
    Position Sensor Cap Screws - 3684014

You need to order some guide pins from cummins to install the position sensor properly, 3165138 is the part number. The sensor should align itself w/ a locating tab. Torque NEW bolts to 27 in-lb. Your code is for the position sensor, guess you could try a sensor first.

10. Magnum1

Dec 13, 2010
    NJ
    Cummins:79177436

Answer this for me, if you can: will the same code be thrown if the valve overtravels into the closed or open Position. Don't try to be technical about how it can do that, if you never took it apart or seen it apart it is hard to understand how - not being a smart aleck just trying to explain.

If the code can be thrown due to the overtravel then I might be able to fix it. If the only way for the
    Code to be shown because of the sensor then I might have tO replace the sensor.

Keep in mind: the valve was taken apart and the gears fell out, so, there could be the timing issue, if it exists.

Thanx.

11. Duramaxxed

Jan 2, 2012
    Bourbonnais, IL
    According to your code, it is for a faulty position sensor. Most likely the sensor was damaged when it was removed. The same code should not be thrown for misalignment, a code saying out of calibration would be for misalignment. Who knows, maybe after you fix your CEL for the position sensor, it could throw a calibration code. You took something apart that not many people have taken apart. Cummins has no support for this, I have checked.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.