Where to shop for a new turbo?

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Verdel, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Verdel

Verdel Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2013
    I am shopping for a new turbo. This is VGT from DDEC-5 detroit 14 L. Freightliner dealer asks $2350 + tax. I have seen some places on the Internet, that you can order the same OEM replacement NEW with 1 year warranty for about $1160 ??? How reliable are these stores?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Not sure if they do vgt turbos,but if they do. Turbo Exchange Concord Nc. Would be my choice.

4. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I know I have seen a place outside Joplin, MO (almost to the OK state line) that has been in business for as long as I can remember. Not sure of the name of the place, but if they have been in business that long, they should have reliable parts. It ought to be on the internet somewhere.

*Update*
    turbosupply is the name of the place. They have a website, but it doesn't have many options as far as products or ordering...but there is a phone number on the website.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Any Detroit Diesel out the door installed for just under $1,000 for a rebuilt. I had one installed 8 years ago and still fine. They give you the price up front. Many on Ebay also.

6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    I hear people are happy with Borg Warner products

7. RSQ20

RSQ20 Medium Load Member

Just lost a 6month old Vg on 06 FL, MSTurbo out of Montreal were not forth coming with warranty solution, Blowing 3 gal of oil in 20hrs..A/A loaded.. Never again!
    Ended up eating it and getting an OEM from Western Star dealer..

... Philip

8. RSQ20

RSQ20 Medium Load Member

Update:

With new turbo, zero oil used in same 20hr run, so confirmed the oil seals were leaking..

... Philip

9. Verdel

Verdel Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2013
    W
    Where what company? Phone number?

10. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Sorry, meant to say Interstate. http://www.istate.com/

They have many of the most common repairs on posters on the walls inside the office with a fixed price like turbo replacement, exhaust manifold replacement and so on. They give you a fixed quote up front before the work begins and also tell what could go wrong. Like a bolt breaks off they charge $25 to extract each one and so on.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.